Chapter 23

Max

I'm discussing some of the different companies we have confirmed that we will pitch our wine to when we got to France in six days, when I hear muffled shouting coming from somewhere on this floor. I'm not the only one who can hear it as my colleagues sitting around the table slowly freeze one by one as they strain to hear what the cause of the commotion is. Lifting my hands off the table, I stand tall and look towards one of the glass walls to see where the noise is coming from.

The shouting soon gets louder, and a shiver runs down my spine as I recognize the voice. Thinking fast, I murmur to Kim, my second in command, for this business trip to take over the meeting while I get rid of the intruder. She gives a firm nod and straight away commands the attention of the people around the table, which helps with keeping their focus off the potential fight Sarah is about to have with me.

I quickly slip out of the meeting room with Johnson on my tail and stride down the corridor, walking closer to where the disturbance is. As I turn a corner and head toward my office, I hear Sarah shouting once more. "Where the fuck is he?! I want to talk to him. Now!"

We pick up our pace and round another corner, finding Sarah standing less than a foot away from my assistant, who is doing her best at blocking Sarah from getting further onto the floor. "I'm here," I seethe, glaring at her.

"Mr. King, I'm sorry. I don't know how she got into the building. I've called security and they're on their way up."

I soften my face as I speak to Stacey and quickly glance down at her pregnant stomach to make sure there's nothing wrong. "It's okay, Stacey. I've got it from here. You can tell security to wait outside my office door until I'm ready for them."

"Yes, Mr. King," she murmurs before heading back to the safety of her seat behind the desk. Johnson moves to block Sarah from Stacey's line of sight, his eyes never leaving Sarah, ready to act quickly if needed.

"I am here, you know!" Sarah shouts at me, clicking the heel of her stiletto against the floor as I walk closer to her.

"Yes. I know that. And so does the rest of the fucking floor as well."

She throws her arms in the air. "Well, if I hadn't had just got arrested and got fired from my job because of it, I wouldn't have had to come down here now, would I?"

I shake my head grimly. "My office now," I instruct, not wanting to have Stacey witness more than she already has.

I trust she won't breathe a word of this to anyone, but with Sarah's ever increasing raised voice, I can't be sure that my employees sitting in the meeting room can't hear her.

Sarah huffs and walks in front of me, her heels stomping along the marble floor. Johnson follows me, but I hold my hand up and tell him to wait out here. From the thin line of his mouth, I can tell he's not happy with my decision, but I want to deal with Sarah alone. When Sarah reaches my office door, she throws it open so that it crashes against the wall. Grinding my teeth together, I decide to ignore her temper as I don't want to anger the beast more and close the door behind me, noticing Stacey throwing me a worried glance before it shuts completely. Taking a deep, calming breath, I turn to look at Sarah and find her sitting on top of my desk, pulling a cigarette out of her purse and lighting it. I frown and fix my eyes on the cigarette. "You know you can't smoke in here."

She throws me a disgusted look and then takes a deep drag. "I couldn't give a fuck right now. I'm stressed thanks to you," she says, blowing smoke out of her mouth.

Lord, give me strength. I cross my arms and stand a few feet away from her, wanting to avoid being any closer to her than I already am. "I don't know what you think talking to me can do to help you."