Part 3

Missed

By like a lot.

Alright, so she was a poor shot. It wasn't her fault! She never had to handle a gun before! How was she to know how to shoot? Sure, it didn't help that she closed her eyes every time it went off but...

Thank God they were in the middle of nowhere.

At first, when a car came to get her, she thought Niccolo was once again trying to get her out of the way. She was pleased that she was wrong. She never thought about it before - probably because sometimes, she shut off some parts of this world... but a gun. They all had guns.

She should know how to defend herself - even now.

Gabriella got lucky before, but it wouldn't always be the case. She wouldn't always be able to overpower someone taller and bigger than her with her hands alone. She would need more. Except, she knew she wasn't learning this to solely defend herself.

This was about killing.

If she had to pull a gun, it wouldn't be to slow down someone. It would be to take them down. One pull of the trigger and she would add another dead body to her count - well, only if she could learn to shoot a freaking target.

"It's your first day, Gabriella," Luca said as he walked closer to her.

Smart of him to keep a distance. Then again, she might shoot in any direction - so was anywhere safe?

"Movies make it look easy..."

"If life were a movie..." he said with a chuckle.

Yeah, then her life would be a whole lot different. She brought her arm back down, her fingers still grasping the gun. "Is there an easier way to practice this?"

"Practice makes perfect."

"Great, I hope you have a few years," she said with a roll of her eyes.

Time. Time was the variable that remained unknown. How long until she would need to know how to do this? Why hadn't they started with this rather than hand-to-hand training? Actually. Scratch that. She did know one thing. She knew she needed this now.

More people were coming and at this rate, her head was buzzing. She didn't know anything. She was sick of it. She had no one she could truly trust, there was no one in her corner. She had to defend herself and no matter what, she couldn't count on anyone else to do it.

"Relax your shoulders a little," he pointed out.

Easy to say.

"So, how's your husband?"

She rolled her eyes. "Really? You know it's not - real."

"It could be."

Gabriella lowered the gun, the metal touching her exposed thigh. "Seriously?"

He lifted both of his hands, showing the palms. "Niccolo does care for you. Else he wouldn't allow you so close to him. Without protection. He sleeps next to you. He trusts you. His - his childhood wasn't the easiest. His dad - it messed him up a little. A lot."

She waved her hand. "I'm gonna stop you right there. This sounds like you're about to give me this whole he could be fixed speech."

"I mean-"

"No." She shook her head. "You see, it's not my damn job to fix him. The guy's got issues. It's not romantic. I'm not gonna sacrifice my sanity and my time. I'm not gonna put up with dumb shit to fix him. If he wants to be fixed, he can fix his damn self. He wants help? Sure? He doesn't know where to start? Sure? But I'm not gonna make a fool out of myself trying to fix someone who doesn't wanna be fixed."