~Above the Hard Deck

june 20, 2022 

it has been 6 years since St. James flew again. After flying a successful solo flight, she graduated with Rooster and got assigned to the Screaming Eagles while Rooster got the job of his dreams with the Golden Warriors. 

The two best friends remained on good terms, just drifted apart. And by drifted apart, they haven't seen or talked to each other in 4 years, and for the life of her she doesn't know why they don't talk. Last she knew, he got a girlfriend. And she didn't know, that news would hurt her. But they are friends, not even dating. Why did it bother her?

"Hey Saint!" Her friend calls her. "What do you want Branch Office?" Rubbing her eyes, she begrudgingly rolls out of her bunk. 

"There's letters for us. Coming from the same place." 

"Ok. I'm coming." 

"The beast awakens from its den." 

"Slick, don't make me hit you." 

"Here you go." Bob hands her a cup of water and the letter. 

"Where is it coming from?" 

"Top Gun." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Being called back to Top Gun is something Oakley never thought would happen. After barely graduating in the first place she didn't think it would be possible. 

"Why are we the only ones called back?" 

"I don't know, but the letters said it's a special assignment." 

"I wonder who else they called back." When the two pilots arrive in North Island, they take their bags into the house they are staying in. 

There's a note on the dinner table, with the words Hard Deck. "What's the Hard Deck?" 

"You didn't go to the Hard Deck when you were here?" Bob asks. 

"Nope, I didn't drink in Top Gun. And Rooster didn't want to take me to a bar." She laughs. "Come on, let's find a room." Going up the stairs she finds a hallway with 5 doors, 4 leading to bedrooms. 

"I pick this one!" She runs in dropping her stuff on the bed. 

"Are you ready to go?" Bob comes into the bedroom, looking around. 

"Yeah." Bob had changed into his uniform but Oakley was so much against wearing a carboard suit to a night out. She decided on denim shorts, with her white cowboy boots and a plain baby blue top. 

"No hat today?" Bob chuckles at his friend who looks like she just left Dallas.  

"Oh shoot! Thanks for the reminder." Grabbing her black cowboy hat, she smiles, man she looked good. 

"Do you think we will know anyone?" 

"I don't know, I mean this is the central house and it looks like we are first here."  She shrugs, climbing into Bob's truck. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking into the Hard Deck was like stepping back in time to when Top Gun was established.