~Skywalker

march 3, 2013

"She's gone." 

 Those two words were the only words in the entire lifetime of Fire Chief Ryan St. James of the Dallas Fire Department to break him. His only daughter, Oakley, is gone. 

"W-where is her remains?" Not even looking up, he got his answer. 

"Chief St. James, we don't know her status. She is missing in action." 

"Sir, I think we all know mia means dead and nothing more." Putting his head in his hands, he draws in a sharp breath to keep the tears at bay. "I-is there anything here left of her?" 

"Her locker.  You are her only living relative, they belong to you now." 

"Thank you sir." Standing up to face the admiral, he nods goodbye. 

"Chief!" the admiral stops him, walking over to him. "I am truly sorry for your loss."

"Sir." Opening the admiral's door, defeat pounds through him like a truck. Defeat over his daughter. Defeat over how his last words to his girl were not what a loving dad should say. 

Footsteps running at a hurried pace belonging to Lt. Seresin comes around the corner of the hallway. 

"Chief St. James. Sir." 

"Jake." 

"I'm so sorry sir. It's not fair." 

"No son it's uh not. Can you direct me to her locker?" 

"Yeah, um this way." Seresin can't help but notice the way the Chief is walking. It seems like all support in his bones has disappeared. "Here is the locker room." Opening the door to the room, a eerie feeling sets in. Lt. St. James going MIA has left a hole. 

"Here sir. Skywalker." As soon as Chief Ryan stands in front of the locker, he loses his balance and collapses in tears on the bench. 

"Sir!" Jake drops beside him and just listens to the father mourn his daughter. 

"Thank you jake. Old men shouldn't cry." 

"I think all men can cry sir." 

"Yeah I guess so." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- stay with me