In the Beginning

The alarm shrilled in his ear.  Surely to God it wasn't time to get up already?  He'd only fallen into bed about 10 minutes ago - or so it seemed.  He had delayed his flight to do just one more interview, one more photo op before coming back from the US.  The next flight had, to his horror,  been delayed and he'd finally crawled under his duvet about 4am.  Carrie hadn't been there by then, but the remains of what was once a beautiful steak dinner sat on the kitchen table to suggest that wasn't always the case. The candles had burned out and one glass had the dregs of a decent red wine.  The food however, untouched. The dessert, a gorgeous looking gateaux, adorned the kitchen wall behind his chair.

He'd put off the light with a curse and a sigh, another missed anniversary, another heart breaking evening for the woman he had fully intended to propose to.  At last.  He had finally got his act together. Got the ring, rehearsed the speech, chosen the day. Their 5th Anniversary of being together. He'd wanted to propose for months but the time was never quite right. Something had always got in the way. That something, he was ashamed to admit, was his career. Every time he planned a special break, even a weekend away, something seemed to come up.  If he believed in that sort if thing, he might gave taken it as a hint. But he didn't. Believe in that sort if thing that was. If only he could wave his hands and cast a spell. Like Loki. The most recent source of his work and his problems with Carrie.

Carrie. He loved her so much. As his exhausted mind closed down for the night, he wondered sadly if this had been the final chance in what seemed like a whole litany of final chances lately.  He really needed to get a grip on things.  Not only didn't he have a glorious purpose, he almost didn't have a glorious anything any more. He was going to lose everything and everyone that mattered.