✯Thirty✯ - Heartbreaking Call

Chapter Thirty

Teresa's gaze settled on Rachel, Jacob's secretary who was currently sitting opposite Jacob, with a laptop on her lap and some papers in her hands. Confusion boldly written on her face. Her eyes shifted from Teresa to Jacob and back to her again.

Amidst the whole tears and tight throat, Teresa spoke out. "Sorry Rachel, but can you give your boss and I some privacy please?" She asked, not sparing the other lady a second glance. Teresa wished this wasn't how their union since Lakewood would turn out. But at this moment, she only saw red. She was totally blinded by her own rage.

Teresa saw Jacob head nod. Probably must be due to Rachel asking him for permission. She quickly left the suite. Giving Teresa the entire space she needed in saying her mind.

Jacob stood up from the couch he was seated on. Slowly he tried walking towards her, but her retreating steps brought him to a halt. A look of confusion and concern, covered his whole face.

"What's wrong Teresa? Are you hurt? Did anything happen?" He asked in what Teresa could detect as worry and concern. But she knew better now than to believe anything about him.

She fumbled with the zip of her handbag, pulling out the same papers she had shown Gideon a while ago. She threw it at him, wanting nothing more than it hitting any part of him. But it only scattered around.

He averted his gaze away from hers, then towards the papers on the floor opposite him. For a few seconds he said nothing, but both his hands by his side were clenched tight, both turning white.

"I guess it's about time you do your own explaining. I've heard enough from Gideon already." She angrily spoke, wrapping her arms around her chest, wanting to appear less vulnerable than she was already.

Jacob diverted his gaze back on her. His green eyes are still unreachable. "You weren't through my things?"

Teresa gasps at his audacity. Suddenly his comment only made her more angry that she was ready to murder him at the spot. "That's all you've got to say?" She threw her handbag at him, but it missed him. "You devil! You played me! You dragged your brother into the mess, all for your own humor and entertainment!"

His face contorted in anger. "Is that what Gideon told you? For your information Gideon the saint you believe him to be, started the whole bet twenty years ago. And I only wanted to keep it going. Keep what he started going." He gritted out, swearing and cursing under his breath, as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

The knowledge Gideon had been the one who started the whole bet, seemed new. But that had been when there were still kids. He had abandoned such pursuit, but somehow Jacob still held onto it.

Jacob continued, this time around he was slowly covering the space between them both. The once anger in his face completely wiped off, a pleading expression now on his face. "Do you know what the truth is? The new bet? The contract? There were all excuses to get close to you. When I saw you for the first time in ten years, all those emotions I had for you came back at me in full force. I wanted you back in my life, but Gideon threatened me to stay away from you, his protectiveness on you angered me. He made me seem like I'm the devil, like I don't deserve you. Then I saw an opportunity to get you back in my life. I made a contract again, and trapped Gideon into it, made a fake health report about Daniel. All just to have some time with you and make you see the real me. 

He tried pulling her close to him, but she flinched back, putting a small space between them. The tears kept pouring out, completely out of control. She was just a tiny breath away from bawling out loud.