forty-eight

Daeun and Jiah giggled as they both played around in the walk-in closet. Jiah tried out Daeun's expensive dresses and shoes as she pretended like she was walking down the runway. Jihoon stayed put in Daeun's arms as he watched his sister play around.

"Can I try those heels?"

"Sure!" Daeun exclaimed happily and reached for the wanted heels that were on the top shelf. The girl then put them on and walked around. Jihoon pouted before whining, wanting Daeun to put him down and let him crawl around. She obeyed and carefully watched him before averting her attention back to the older sister.

"You are the best aunt!" Jiah ran to her and hugged her tightly. Daeun felt touched by the sudden words and patted Jiah's back gently, "You shouldn't say that. Poor Daera and Areum."

They both immediately pulled away when Jihoon started crying, wanting Daeun to pick him up. She obeyed and felt her heart flutter when his little arms hugged her.

I want to have a family.

With Sunghoon.

She felt her heart breaking into pieces when she recalled his words of being married.

Troublesome.

"Aunty Daeun," the little girl called, bringing her unofficial aunt back to reality. Daeun hummed in response as they both went out of the closet.

"Will you marry Uncle Sunghoon and live happily ever after? Like, mom and dad? Or Uncle Jay and Aunty Daera?"

"I'm not sure, Jiah-yah."

Suddenly, her phone rang. Her frown faded and was instantly replaced with a smile when she saw Sunghoon's name displayed on the screen. She picked up the call and glanced at Jihoon who was already fast asleep in her arms.

"Sunghoon!"

"You sound happy. Is everything okay with Jihoon and Jiah?"

"Yeah, they're fun to be with. How's work?"

"I have another seminar to handle. I'll be back tonight. And then, we can have dinner together."

"Are you sure? I thought you're gonna be back late?"

"I can't stand another day without you. I'll try to come home as soon as possible."

His words made her heart race. She blushed and tried to suppress her happy smile, "Can I ask you a question?"

"What is it?"

"If you found someone who you truly love, do you want to spend the rest of your life with her? As husband and wife?"

He didn't respond. She sighed and thought he hung up. "Sunghoon?" She called to make sure he was still there.

"I don't know what to say. I'm not comfortable talking about this topic, Daeun-ah," was the last thing he said before ending the call.

Jiah curiously examined her expression and asked, "Aunty Daeun, are you okay?"

"Yeah," Daeun forced out a smile, "I'll make you some lunch. Let's go!"

"What if she loses hope? You sound so mean, Sunghoon-ah," Jay nagged as he examined all the engagement ring choices. They both had been in the jewellery store for almost an hour, searching for the perfect ring.

Sunghoon wanted to propose to Daeun as a surprise. To do that, he needed to make her believe that he doesn't want to get married. "That is a stupid idea. What if she loses hope and breaks up with you?" Jay asked again.

Sunghoon sighed and glared at him, "Can you be positive for once? I know what I'm doing."

"How are you gonna propose to her then?"

"Jake will tell her that I got into an accident. Then, he'll silently take her to the hospital rooftop, the place where we both first met. I'll have her favourite flowers and candles decorated all around the rooftop. And I already had an artist paint a portrait of our first meeting. Her in her hospital gown and me in my doctor's coat."

He turned to face Jay and saw him trying to suppress his tears. Jay frowned and sobbed as he took a tissue that was given by the store's worker.

"That's so romantic. My proposal didn't work out since Daera wanted to propose to me too."

Sunghoon let out a soft chuckle before continuing to search for the perfect ring.