twenty-three

Daeun and Sunghoon walked around the park nearby for a while. The rain stopped a while ago which made her sigh in relief. She watched as children ran around and couples held hands together as they enjoyed every moment together.

She then glanced at her hand and saw that Sunghoon had his in the pocket of his coat. They both walked side by side and stayed silent. But it wasn't awkward. It was calming and peaceful.

Just him being next to her made her feel safe and sound. He was like a home to her.

I should enjoy this fake relationship until it ends.

That is the only way I can be with him.

Sunghoon's eyes brightened up when he saw a lady with a table full of cute accessories. A pair of blue and pink couple bracelets caught his eye.

Daeun wouldn't like that, right?

He cleared his throat and looked away but the lady caught him. "You! Young man. Are you interested in the bracelets?"

Daeun glanced at him out of confusion. She then looked at the bracelets and they were cute. She wanted them too. She stayed quiet and waited for him to respond.

"It's okay," he smiled at the lady. "You want them. I know it! You can buy them for yourself and your girlfriend."

"It's alright. We're not dating."

He continued walking, thinking that Daeun was following him. She stopped hesitantly and glanced at the bracelets.

"I'll take them."

"Good choice, young lady!" The lady exclaimed happily before giving her the bracelets. She thanked her and bowed before running towards Sunghoon.

They both arrived back at the medical school. He opened the car door for her and sighed, "I'll see you after the lecture session ends."

She nodded and they both smiled before boring their eyes into each other. She was about to walk when her shoe suddenly fell off. A blush started appearing on her cheeks and she tried to hide her face out of embarrassment.

Sunghoon chuckled and took the shoe before putting it on for her. "Done," he exhaled heavily and looked up to her with a soft smile. Her heart started racing rapidly and she felt like there were thousands of butterflies appearing in her stomach.

She nodded, "I'll see you later."

He watched as she scurried into the building, leaving him behind.

Daeun's lectures for that day had ended. She exhaled in relief before packing her things to leave. Bina approached her before folding her arms.

"Did you have fun with Sunghoon just now?"

Daeun ignored her and continued packing her things. Bina scoffed and rolled her eyes before slamming an exam paper on the desk. It made Daeun stop what she was doing.

She widened her eyes at the big F at the corner of her paper. "Professor Jay told me to hand this to you," Bina laughed, "You're a loser, Ahn Daeun. And you have the audacity to beat me?"

Daeun snatched the paper and started to turn pages to pages. She saw Jay's notes on the corner of the paper. He was expressing how he was disappointed with her answers.

Her eyes widened again when she felt liquid being poured above her head. Bina smirked mischievously as she poured milk on her.

"A loser like you deserves this. You took Sunghoon away from me and you even acted so mighty. But the truth is you're pathetic."

Daeun felt anger rising inside her and slapped the box of milk away from her cousin's hand. She felt like beating Bina into a pulp but suppressed the feelings. She didn't want to cause a scene that could ruin her reputation.

"Touch me again and you'll face the consequences. Remember this, Bina. I have power and you don't."

Daeun sobbed alone in the toilet as she washed her top that was drenched with milk. She turned off the tap water and burst into tears.

She was embarrassed that Bina was the first person to know she failed her test. She thought she could carry neurosurgery but it was harder than she expected.

Maybe I should've just stayed in business instead of trying neurosurgery.

She wiped her tears and washed her face. Her eyes were still swollen and red. Anyone who walks past her could notice she was crying. She took a deep breath and tried to force out a smile.

She walked out of the toilet and saw Sunghoon standing outside, waiting for her. "I figured you might be here. I saw you running out of the lecture hall. Jay told me you failed your test."

She stayed silent, not uttering a single word. He flashed her a soft smile and pulled her into his warm embrace.

"I can't. I have milk all over me."

"I don't care."

She melted into his embrace and closed her eyes. He patted her back gently and felt her relaxing as she rested her head against his chest.