thirty-two

Jungwon took off his mask and sunglasses before pressing the passcode numbers on Daeun's door. The door opened and he walked in. His jaw dropped when he saw an uncomfortable scene in front of his eyes.

Sunghoon and Daeun were on the couch kissing each other. She realised her cousin was standing there with a dropped jaw and pushed the surgeon away. Sunghoon fell to the floor and immediately stood up to bow at Jungwon.

"Did I come at the wrong time?"

"No!" Sunghoon and Daeun shouted in unison. She laughed awkwardly and held her cousin's hand. She led him to the couch and left him, "I'll go make you a drink."

Jungwon frowned and glared at Sunghoon before standing up. He dusted off his pants and clothes, too disgusted to sit on the couch where the 'horrifying' scene occurred earlier.

The surgeon nodded, finally figuring out why Jungwon didn't want to sit. He cleared his throat and bowed again, "I'm Sunghoon."

"Yeah, I know. My cousin's fake boyfriend. But after what I saw just now, I guess the word 'fake' is silent now."

Daeun came with a glass of juice in her hand and placed it on the coffee table. She then smacked Jungwon on the head, "Be nice to him."

Sunghoon let out a soft chuckle before excusing himself, "I should leave. I'll see you later, Daeun."

The cousins watched as the doctor left the house and closed the entrance door. "Your mom said you sprained your ankle so I was hoping to see you watching TV and eating chocolates. I can't believe you were eating someone's face off," Jungwon teased.

She glared and pinched his arm, "Shut up. Why did you come anyway?"

He shrugged and saw the thick medical books on the table. He took one and examined it. "It's quite hard."

"I know. That's why I'm not continuing my studies."

"What?" He looked at her with surprised eyes. She sighed and rubbed her temples, "Being a surgeon is not my dream. I'm just going to quit medical school and start a company."

He leaned back against the couch and scoffed, "What company?"

"I don't know. Maybe I'll buy your company and have you work under me," she smirked. He smacked her arm and laughed.

Bina tiredly entered her house and smiled at a maid that came to greet her. Her mother rushed downstairs and smiled, "There you are!"

Yeongja pulled her into a tight hug, earning a surprised look from her daughter. "What is it, mom? Did something happen?"

Yeongja pulled away and scoffed, "What? I can't hug you whenever I want. Anyway, today is your birthday. Have you forgotten?"

The maids came with confetti and cheered for her before making her put on a birthday hat. Bina smiled and thanked them before asking, "Will dad join us?"

Yeongja's smile faded, realising how her husband rarely celebrates his daughter's birthday ever since he has a mistress. She realised his mistress had the same birthday as Bina.

"Your dad is busy with his–"

"What do you mean? I'm right here," Her husband came while holding two big boxes of his daughter's gifts.

"Dad! You're here!" Bina ran into his arms and hugged him as tight as she could. Yeongja approached him before whispering, "What makes you come here?"

She forced out a smile to her daughter before glancing at him with angry eyes. "Why? She's my daughter after all. Why wouldn't I be here for my daughter's birthday," he answered back with gritted teeth as he faked a smile in front of everyone.

Bina was busy unboxing her gifts from her parents with the maids. "Won't your mistress be disappointed that you're not with her to whore around?"

"Shut up, Yeongja."

"What? You know I'm right. Bina and I are doing just fine for the past three years of celebrating our birthdays without you."

Mr Ahn sighed, "Fine. I'll leave."

Bina glanced at her father, "Dad, come! Let's take a picture. You're rarely home so you have to take one now that you're here."

Her words made his heart break. He forced out a bright smile and nodded, "Let's do it."

Yeongja took her daughter's phone and stood in front of them to take a picture. "1, 2, 3!" She counted.

Mr Ahn kissed her daughter's head and said, "Yeongja, join us for the picture."

"Come, mom!"

The mother gave the phone to one of the maids and stood next to her daughter. She flinched when her husband's hand rested on her shoulder. They both glared at each other before smiling brightly for the picture.

As usual, Mr Ahn left by saying he had some work to do. Bina's smile was gone as soon as the entrance door closed. She poked at her cake with a small fork and glanced at her mother who was watching.

"Is the cake not to your liking?"

"No, it's not that," she answered politely and asked for the maid to take the plate away. Yeongja sighed and handed her a small box, "Another gift."

"Mom, you gave me five gifts already. You don't have to buy a lot of expensive things just for me."

"Why shouldn't I? You are my one and only daughter. I can spoil you whenever I want."

They both smiled at each other. Yeongja stood up from her chair and patted her daughter's shoulder, "I have to go settle a few things outside. You go do whatever you want to do. I'll be back home as soon as I can."

She watched her mother leave and headed to the kitchen to pour herself some water. Her heart dropped when she heard the maids gossiping in the wet kitchen, thinking that there was no one to listen to them.

"I'm telling you the truth! Mr Ahn has another woman."

"And Mrs Ahn knows about this?"

"Yes! And the reason why she's not surprised is that their marriage has failed. She doesn't even care if her husband is cheating on her."

"Poor Bina. She has a controlling mother and a cheating father."

"And I just found out the reason why Mr Ahn is never here on Bina's birthday is that his mistress has the same birthday as her. Poor child."

Bina's heart started beating rapidly out of resentment, disappointment and many more that she couldn't describe. She barged into the wet kitchen, "What?"

"Ms Ahn!" The maids immediately lowered their heads. She rushed to one of them and held both of her shoulders, "How do you know? How do you know my father has a mistress?"

"She deserves to know. She's the daughter," the other maid said hesitantly and sighed.

"Ms Ahn, I want you to go upstairs to your mother's office. Open the yellow envelope and see all the evidence. And please put it back nicely like how you found them."

Bina gulped and nodded before leaving the kitchen.