forty-six

Sunghoon took off his mask and surgical gloves before throwing them away. He went to the small sink and washed his hands before leaving the operating room. Still, in his surgical scrubs, he gathered his courage to go to Daeun's room. Day by day he prayed to God that she would wake up.

The first thing he wanted to do was feel her body in his embrace and hug her until she couldn't breathe. He had missed her too much and he longed for her warmth. He felt his chest getting heavier as his steps got closer to the room.

He opened the door and gasped in shock when the room's owner wasn't on the bed. In fact, she wasn't even in the room. He started to panic and ran out of the room, searching for her.

He kept asking the other hospital staff about her whereabouts. Jake, who passed by him gave him a confused look. "What's wrong?"

"Daeun's gone! She's not in her room! Have you seen her?"

"How can she be gone? Isn't she still unconscious?"

They both stared at each other as they tried to think about all the possibilities of what could have happened. A thought crossed Sunghoon's mind. His legs unconsciously brought him to the rooftop and there she was.

Her back was facing him and he watched as the wind pushed her hair off her shoulders. She was still in her hospital gown, looking at the tall buildings.

When she turned around, his heart fluttered. It was just like how they both first met. The snow globe he gifted her caught his attention when he saw it in her hands. She was holding the snow globe the whole time.

"Daeun-ah," his voice broke as he pulled her into his embrace. He finally felt her warmth brushing against his skin. He buried his face on her shoulder and sobbed quietly.

"Don't you know how scared I was? I was so scared that I'm going to lose you."

She reached her hands to pat his back gently. He pulled away and caressed her cheek, making sure he wasn't dreaming.

"I heard about my father," she said. He lowered his gaze apologetically. "He doesn't deserve to die like that. I can't even attend his funeral. I–" she burst into tears and buried her face into his chest.

He patted her head gently to comfort her and rested his chin on it. "I am so sorry, Daeun."

"I tried waking up. I tried to open my eyes. I heard you crying and I heard all the sweet words you said to me. I was so scared that I might not see you again."

His lips curved into a bright smile. He bore his eyes into hers and admired how beautiful they looked. He then averted his eyes to her lips and gathered his courage to ask, "Can I kiss you? Please?"

She smiled a little and nodded, letting him take the lead. He leaned in and held her cheeks with his tender hands.

"I love you so much, Sunghoon."

"I love you so damn much, Daeun. Losing you would be the worst that could happen in my life."

Bina exhaled heavily as she turned off her car engine. Suddenly, an SUV hit her vehicle from the back. She gasped when she could sense her car was dented and jumped out of it. She frowned and stormed towards the SUV.

Her heart dropped at the sight of Sunoo getting out of the car. She looked at their cars back and forth, "You hit my car."

He frustratedly sighed, "I'll pay for the damage. I'm so sorry, Ms Ahn."

"You can call me Bina."

He chuckled and flashed his infamous cute smile, "Alright, Bina. I'll pay for the damage. Perhaps you can give me your phone number so that I can contact you easier."

She thought for a while and shyly looked away, "Or, you can have dinner and beer with me? You don't have to pay for the car anymore."

"I'd love that."