seventeen

Daeun sat in front of the vanity table as Edlyn helped dry her hair with a towel. "I suppose you are the lucky girl who caught Sunghoon's attention."

Daera who was on the couch, reading a magazine, sighed before closing it. "It will be more shocking if Sunghoon suddenly announces he's going to marry you."

Daeun glanced at both of them back and forth, "Why? Is it hard? Is he not interested in marriage?"

"He loves dating. But he told me once that he doesn't see himself in marriage. I think something happened but I don't want to jump to conclusions. He just told me he feels that marriage is a bit of a burden to him," Edlyn explained.

"Ah," Daeun nodded and laughed awkwardly. She didn't know why she was feeling disappointed and sad. It was not like she had seen herself getting married to him.

So why should I be disappointed?

"Do not worry, Daeun. Maybe he'll change his mind for you? He looks like he's deeply in love with you. That's progress," Daera assured her.

Daeun gave her a hesitant smile and stared at herself in the mirror.

Sunghoon listened to the hired band playing their songs. He raised his champagne glass to the other guests that greeted him and smiled before sighing tiredly. His cheeks started to feel tired due to smiling all day and it soon turned into a frown.

He noticed Jake coming toward him and gulped his champagne down in one go. "Alone?" Jake asked before looking at his daughter that was playing with Jay and Daehyun.

"I don't feel like talking to anyone else. All they ask is whether I'm single or not. How can I tell them that I'm not interested in their daughters?"

"The solution is, you don't. You're attractive, deal with it."

Their eyes brightened up when Edlyn and Daeun finally went back to where the guests were gathered. Jake chuckled, "Well, there's my beautiful wife. I should go to her. I've missed her already."

Sunghoon grimaced at his friend as he watched him scurry to his wife. Daeun noticed his stare and looked at him. She glanced for the last time at Edlyn who was already occupied by her husband before approaching where Sunghoon was standing.

"You look beautiful," he said. She chuckled nervously before tucking a few strands of hair behind her ear. "Edlyn's daughter is quite cheerful and polite to others. I enjoy her company in the waiting room."

He widened his eyes, "You can't get close to her. She'll reveal all of my secrets and embarrassing moments."

Daeun couldn't believe what she was hearing and laughed, "You are such a kid, Sunghoon."

He watched her laugh and felt his cheeks redden. He cleared his throat and gave his empty champagne glass to a waiter.

The band soon played a slow romantic song, inviting all the guests to the dance floor. Daeun and Sunghoon glanced at all the guests nervously, seeing them moving to the dance floor with their partners.

Areum and Heeseung wrapped their arms around each other and danced while talking about some things. "Why aren't you dancing?" A familiar voice asked.

Daeun flinched when she realised it was her mother. "Mom!"

"Mrs Ahn," Sunghoon bowed, "It's nice to meet you."

"So you are the boyfriend my daughter talks about."

Daeun laughed nervously, "The dance floor is a bit crowded, mom. I'm sure Sunghoon is uncomfortable."

"But isn't this your favourite song?"

He cleared his throat and linked his arm with hers, "Well then, since it's your favourite song, it wouldn't hurt to dance in a crowd. Right?"

They both went into the middle of the crowd and stood there awkwardly, looking at the other guests. "I've never danced before," she confessed shyly.

He smiled softly and brought her hand around his waist. He held her free hand and wrapped his other hand around her waist. "Then, I shall lead you."

He pulled her closer and they could hear their breaths. She looked over his shoulder and saw Doyun and Bina glaring at her.

"We need to kiss."

"What?" He asked, feeling surprised. "Doyun and Bina are watching us."

"But I thought you said once a day?"

"We have to," Daeun breathed out, "Bina is still hesitant about our–"

Sunghoon cupped both of her cheeks and pulled her into a quick kiss.