26. Reunion

We heard a car outside and ran out: Phil had just arrived with Lilly, Cleo, and Thomas in the van. A second later we saw Gabe's car appear, driven by Richy, with Dan and Gabe himself. I was overjoyed to see all my friends there, but we didn't have time to say hello and we immediately took care of removing the wounded and transporting them to the house.

Everything was ready inside and Laura got to work without wasting a second, checking Gabe and Dan's injuries. She told Phil to stay and help her and asked the rest of us to leave them alone, as she needed space and quiet. We all left then on the condition that she call us as soon as she needed help, to which she agreed. I gave Gabe one last look and he smiled reassuringly, but the sight of his leg made my heart break and I turned away trying not to let him see the look on my face.

Once outside, however, I had practically no time to think because Lilly pounced on me crying, repeating over and over that she was happy to meet me in person. I hugged her with tears in my eyes, incredibly happy to see her too, and then Cleo, Jessy, and Thomas joined our hug. Richy was watching us with relief from a corner but refused to come when Lilly called out to him.

Jessy: Better, I don't want that guy near me.

Lilly: What are you saying, Jessy? Why do you act like that? We are here thanks to him.

Jessy: And if it wasn't for him, you wouldn't have disappeared in the first place. How can you treat him like nothing happened?

Lilly: We have forgiven Richy a long time ago. And about the kidnapping... he's not the only one to blame.

MC: What do you mean?

They looked at each other uncertainly, and I could even say a little afraid. Thomas looked down and Cleo nodded to encourage Lilly, to which she replied in a near whisper:

Lilly: I'd rather wait until we're all together.

Jessy: What is it, Lilly? This is not the time to have secrets between us, it's enough with everything that happened today.

Lilly sighed deeply and asked us to sit down, but it was Thomas who immediately started talking as if he wanted to get everything out as quickly as possible:

Almost without breathing, he told us about his first meeting with Richy, about how he and Cleo had sabotaged the cars, about the kidnapping, about the shelter... He explained that the idea of calling me had been his and that Richy had prepared everything beforehand so Jake couldn't trace the call. Finally, he told us that they knew Alan was involved, even though they had never spoken to him.

I listened to all that without being able to believe it. No... I didn't want to believe it. A numb feeling had me paralyzed and I couldn't find the words. I couldn't even think straight. As Thomas spoke, a painful knot formed in my stomach, but the story didn't end there...

He told us the deal had been to turn me in to get Hannah back, and until the last moment, they thought it was true. They thought I wouldn't be in any danger, but that morning, when Alan took Gabe to the shelter, Dan realized what was going on and tried to confront him to get out of there, and that's how he got shot in the shoulder.

Thomas fell silent after this and bowed his head apologetically, while Lilly and Cleo did the same. I was still in shock, unable to react to everything I had heard. The only thing I could recognize inside me was sadness and disappointment. Those were my friends, the same ones Jake had risked his life for, the same ones Gabe had tried to save without even knowing them...

The image of Gabe's leg came to mind along with his smile from earlier, and tears welled up in my eyes.

MC: So... all this time...