6. New challenge

I ran into the living room and turned on the TV without wasting a minute. It was there:

"A few hours ago an empty cabin was found in the Duskwood forests. There were clear signs of violence, in addition to two abandoned cars. It is known that there were at least five people inside the cabin before the event; they had reported an attack to the police, who were already on their way to the scene. So far no trace of these people or what happened has been found, and the police continue to investigate."

Meanwhile, the screen showed images of the hut from one of its angles. Several patrols, police controlling the press, dogs... Suddenly I felt a pang in my stomach: Dan's wheelchair. It was lying outside, abandoned.

My heart turned into a fist and once again I felt the world stop: panic was starting to escalate like before, threatening to paralyze me.

At that moment Jessy and Gabe came through the door.

Jessy: Hey girl, weren't you supposed to be resting? What are you do...

Her smile disappeared as soon as she looked at the screen.

Jessy: Is that...?

She stood there, not moving a muscle, while I tried to fight my own fear. My mind was going a thousand miles an hour because I knew there was no time to waste, I couldn't afford to go through the same thing as the previous time. This time I had to keep my composure and act as quickly as possible to help my friends.

The first thing was to get rid of Gabe, with everything that was at stake it was not advisable to involve more people in this matter. I looked in his direction, but strangely there was no need to say anything, it was as if he understood that something very serious had happened. He looked at the two of us in silence, put the purchases on the table, and slowly approached me:

Gabe: I'll be next door if you need me. At any time, okay?

He kissed me on the forehead and, without further ado, he left and closed the door behind him. What the hell just happened? It's possible that...? Jessy ended up losing her temper at that point and started yelling:

Jessy: No, no, no! That's a lie! It's not our hut, is it, MC? Tell me it isn't!

MC: Jessy, I need you to calm down. We can't lose our minds now, we have to act calmly to help them.

Jessy: Calm down?! What are you talking about? They're my friends!

MC: And mine! But from experience, I tell you that we'll not achieve anything if we panic. Help me, Jessy.

She looked at me with tears in her eyes and hugged me between sobs.

MC: Wait, I'll talk to Jake. He can track them, remember?

I took Jessy to the couch and without wasting a second I texted Jake:

MC: Please come online, we need you.

MC: That crazy son of a bitch called me, he said that he had caught the guys. They're showing the hut on TV right now and... they're not there, Jake.

MC: Answer, please!

JAKE IS NOW ONLINE

Jake: I've seen it. Please keep calm, MC.

MC: I'm trying, believe me, but...

Jake: We'll find them, trust me.

MC: You can track their phones, right?