33. New ideas

Alan says goodbye to everyone, "see you tomorrow, keep me updated", and goes to get his car. This whole skeleton thing has thrown him into a limbo of fear and pride that has managed to bring back the ghosts of his past.

Well, actually the BEST ghost of my past...

He starts the car and starts driving without paying much attention to his destination, he doesn't need it. He knows the way so well, he's walked it so many times, that he can afford to let his mind go where it wants, or should he say when it wants? And yes... it goes back thirteen years, it couldn't be any other way.

Thirteen years, 156 long months since he saw Jennifer come through his office door saying she was coming to fix his computer. Alan smiles as he remembers her naive mouth, her trembling voice, her cheeks that seemed to flush every time she spoke. He had never been attracted to women so bland and subdued, so boring they didn't even provoke curiosity, but something about her aroused his instincts.

After that day, Jennifer stayed in his mind for weeks, circling his thoughts like a bird of prey until he couldn't take it anymore and succumbed to desire. He called her, invited her to a coffee, and that same night he discovered the answer to all his questions while she did what she wanted with his body. He gets goosebumps just remembering those unique and maddening, almost addictive caresses that only she had made known to him.

Am I missing her?

No, he didn't even miss her the day after she died. That would have been pathetic, stupid... she would tell him herself if she could. It's not Jennifer he needs to get back, but the freedom she pushed him to discover. Yes, Jennifer was the true liberator for him, guiding him toward those incredible sensations that he needed so much.

It is a pity that the situation is so different now, and for the moment he has no choice but to settle for the poor consolation of his memories. Those same memories that await him a few miles away and that he is now on his way to visit.

--- 

It's been several hours since Richy told them the whole story, and Jessy is still thinking about it. She can't forgive him and the pain continues to claw at her chest, but MC was right: understanding why he did it has given her some peace. Knowing that her old friend is not an emotionless psycho has managed to calm some of the hatred that was consuming her, and she thinks about this as she watches Richy, who stands silent across the room with his head down.

The others are there too, except for Hannah, who hasn't come down since Jake took her upstairs; and Lilly and Thomas, who went to keep her company. However, for a while now almost all eyes have been focused on Jake and Gabe, who still haven't left their laptops and exchange a few words in low voices from time to time. Everyone wonders what they are doing because this time there is something different about them.

Dan: Hey hackers, what's the mystery you're up to? You've been whispering to each other for hours like two old gossip ladies.

Neither of them seems to listen right away, though after a few seconds they turn to the others with tired expressions.

Cleo: I thought there would be no more secrets between us.

Jake: It's not that. We are investigating an idea, but there is still a lot of work ahead.

Dan: All the more reason to include us. Has it ever occurred to you that we could help?

Jake hesitates for a moment and looks at everyone thoughtfully, he doesn't want to waste a minute explaining. However, in his mind comes the memory of the day MC asked him for something very similar, when he joined the group chat and for the first time they shared the information they had. MC had told him that she was relieved...