Tanjiro x mute!male!reader (fluff)

Requested by @Iguromybeloved, this one might be a bit short, sorry 😔

Y/n, L/n, Tanjiro 's best friend from final selection, though Y/n had never really talked, Tanjiro still thought of the other male as a friend, the only way he had figured out his name is by asking other slayers during final selection. Tanjiro quickly spotted him at the end of final selection, though The silent male didn't say anything, he sure did listen, and he had no way of telling the burgundy haired boy his condition of being mute, hoping the other wouldn't drop him and the friendship they had created for being silent, but alas Tanjiro never made any rudd remark or comment about his silent behavior, he knew the other was listening, and if he were to ask a yes or no question, Y/n would nod his head as an answer.

Though Y/n could not say anything his beauty went on for miles, Tanjiro adored this man's smile, his hair, the gentleness you could see in his eyes, his smart tactical thinking in battle against demons, he was a great person and anyone could get along with Y/n if they didn't think he was rude and weird for not speaking. Tanjiro had two main goals in his life, defeat Muzan and make Y/n speak, he wanted to hear the pretty boys voice, not knowing he wouldn't ever be able too. 

You and Tanjiro were hanging outside at a diner, Tanjiro had ordered for you, as you couldn't speak, often if you had tried to speak you ended up just writing down what you wanted to say for him to read, he didn't mind after all, if that's what you were comfortable with doing then fine, he wasn't going to push you out your comfort zone, as he was always taught to be respectful and kind to others, and that's exactly what he was, respectful and kind. You hoped one day this curse of silence would break and you'll finally be able to speak 

Though, you, Y/n had Traumatic mutism in which where someone develops mutism in all situations from witness a traumatic experience, in which you did, by witnessing your parents death after they were slaughtered and eaten by demons. (Emo y/n lmao you were 14 by the time you saw your family die, so basically like tanjiro ig). The demon was going to eat you next, that was until you were taken in by a hashira and taught by them, which you learned breathing techniques and how to slay demons. (You can choose whatever hashira saved you because I'm lazy and af to do the math and stuff.) But traumatic mutism can be overcome if the person had gotten the correct treatment. That gave you and your trainer some hope that you could overcome your mutism and be able to socialize again.(unrelated but my aunt just indirectly made an amongus joke.)

Though Tanjiro not knowing of your mutism, he really only thought you were shy or insecure of your voice so sometimes he'd beg of you to speak only causing you to nod your head no. It went like this usually:

"Y/n! Y/n! Me and the others are doing some sort of comedy night due to us not having any missions! Would you like to join!?"

The other male only shakes his head no.

"Why not? I think you'd be really funny! You can do it!"

Y/n still shook his head no.

"Oh okay then, I won't force you to tell jokes with the others, would you still like to join though? You don't have to speak!"

You shook your head yes.

"That's wonderful! See you there Y/n!" Tanjiro waved goodbye and walked away as you waved goodbye watching as he walked away.

No matter how much you wouldn't reply or physically speak, he would not give up, maybe he was a little too determined and focused on making you speak, maybe he was a bit too much obsessed on wanting to hear your voice, if you call day dreaming a bit on what your voice would sound like, "too much obsessed." He was a little silly boy with a crush, was it a crush? No, he didn't think it was, it was just him being friendly and being a good friend. Yeah. "A good friend."

Why did the term, good friend hurt so much? He didn't know. Maybe he did love you, but would he be good enough to be with you? How would the others feel? Isn't homosexuality a sin? Y'know what. Who cares about what's a sin and what's not a sin. He's broken a rule a before, he'll do it again. Love isn't about what others think, it's about what you feel. 

Today, Tanjiro and his friends were going to have check ups at the butterfly estate, as they recently had a mission with a demon.(yah this is just a random demon.) First it was Inosuke, then Zenitsu, then Y/n's turn, and now it was finally Tanjiro's turn. Shinobu was checking for any injuries on the young slayer.

"Kocho-san?"

"Hm? What is it?"

"Why does Y/n never speak?"

"Oh? You don't know? Y/n is mute."

"Oh... I didn't know.."

"Y/n has traumatic mutism in which someone can grow out of it, if treated."

Oh. Well now he knew why you never spoke. he felt bad for trying to make you speak without truly knowing your condition, he also felt pretty stupid. He wouldn't be able to hear your laugh, voice, whispers, oh how he wished you'd be able to talk to him. One word. One word would be enough. But, just because you were mute doesn't mean he didn't love you any less.

"You're free to go."

"Thank Kocho-san!" Tanjiro bowed after he got up before walking out the room to see his friends. Inosuke was chasing Zenitsu around while Y/n was watching them, playfully smiling.

"Hey guys!" He yelled as he waved his arm to get their attention. Y/n turned around and waved hi while Inosuke stopped chasing Zenitsu letting Zenitsu go run over to Tanjiro and hug him while he cried over Inosuke being scary. The four of you hung out for the rest of the day. Everytime you smiled or did a simple action he fell in love over and over again. In a sense you kinda reminded him of Nezuko, both of you couldn't talk and you were both kind and caring. Your kindness and gentleness was his favorite thing about you. He has to tell you how feels one day, or it'll hurt more to not be with you, love does strange things to a man.

-time skip a few days.-

Today was it. Today was the day. Today, the burgundy haired boy would finally tell you his feelings for you. He had invited you to a diner as normal so it didn't make you feel nervous or anything. You made it to the diner and spot Tanjiro. You pointed towards Tanjiro as to tell the waiters that was your table, it took them awhile to understand but nonetheless they let you go.  The two of you ordered your food as you listened to him go on about his day, it wasn't boring at all as some might think, it was quite entertaining as Tanjiro explained and talked about his mission since the two of you didn't have a mission together, it was a rare occurrence but you really didn't mind. Once the food came, you both ate, it was silent but not awkward silence, comfortable silence. He cleaned his throat.

"Y/n..." You nodded your head yes to let him know you heard him.

"I.. I have feelings for you Y/n, your beauty is immeasurable and you're so kind... You're so smart in battle as well, can, can we be boyfriends?!?"

You nodded your head yes quickly and you felt some tears stream down your face, you kissed the cheek of your new boyfriend and he just blushed and smiled. The two of you ended up paying with your food and leaving the restaurant holding hands.

Random thing but My grandma said I eat a lot ☹️🧍‍♀️