Ass Back Home

I don't know where you're going
Just get your ass back home
-

"I didn't know you could get YouTube videos on the TV."

"Well when you're stuck in a room for 14 hours a day..."

Jade nodded in understand as she passed the bag of popcorn over to Miguel and grabbed her own to sit on her bed. After watching the ad for Cobra Kai Jade was quick to changed the subject. When she realized they could watch videos the two went on a trip to the store for some snacks.

"What's next?"

Miguel shrugged and passed the remote between his hands as he tried to think about what to look at next. There was so much to see but what would Jade like?

"Didn't you have a band? Wanna see if any songs are uploaded?"

It never occurred to the punk that she could do that and Jade found herself wondering if she wanted to see what they were up to at all. She would only miss them more.

"Sure why not."

The raven haired beauty caught the remote from Miguel and was quick to look up her band mates. Her eyes flickered at the channel and sighed. Official. They were official.

She clicked the image of the three boys and looked at the uploads of familiar songs that they had written. None were her songs. The most recent upload was a cover of "Ass Back Home" with a picture of a young girl with her back towards the band members.

Dramatic whores.

Jade pressed play and watched as Blake filled the screen with his guitar around his shoulders and heavy smoky eye liner. His familiar voice made her eyes water as it seemed to speak to her, but it was until Scooter came in with his screams that a tear fell down her cheek. She wiped it before Miguel could see.

The video was an obvious cry for their little sister to come back to them and Jade felt her shoulders drop as the music washed over her almost painfully. They were so good and amazing at what they were doing. The melodies and energy made her long to sing and play anything. She thirsted for it as if she was in a desert without water.

After the song finished Jade took a shaky breath and grabbed the remote before the next song could play and paused it. She threw the plastic to a concerned Miguel and swallowed the sludge in her throat.

"Your turn Miggy."

......

"A new lead singer?"

"We got a fucking lead."

The suited man only scoffed at the claims and sat back in his chair. This was why he hated the punk rock bands. They never just did what they were fucking told to do and fought with you every step of the way.

"Look. I don't know where the little teen is and neither do you. Fans want a female lead to relate to. Some springy with colorful hair and metal on their face." The bald man rolled his eyes at the thought and leaned forward with his elbows on the table. Blake went to open his mouth again but he was quick to interrupt. "Plus your sponsor insists on it."

All three men rolled their eyes at that.

They had a sponsor that funded them to control them, which was something they were never warned about. Maybe Lacey should have gone to law school to learn about these things but no one knew what a contract really meant.

Controlled. Enslaved. Shelved.

Their new manager was an old man that had never listened to punk rock music on his own in his life. He had gone to college for a degree and had a white picket fence family. Jeff Vaughn.

The most unpunk man in the world.

"But don't worry gentlemen." The word almost came out sarcastic with a small eye roll as if the adjective was waste on them. He adjusted a pen on his desk to make it straighter and Blake scoffed. "The company has made a choice with help from your kind sponsor."

"You expect us to work with someone we didn't pick?!" Blake asked incredulously.  He felt like the red color in his hair as he got up from the couch and pointed at the man angrily. "That's bullshit!"

Scooter was quick to grab his partner's wrist while Rum narrowed his eyes at Jeff. "That's not how we roll."

"Well it is now. You think the boy bands on TV like each other?" Jeff snorted and smirked as he thought about his friends and colleagues tortuous times. "One Direction... Five Seconds of Summer...Metallica... Pink Floyd... Guns n Roses..."

The band felt their chest drop as they started to realize further what the manager was saying. They had no control over their band and would continue to have no decision ability. This new member would be forced onto them even if they hated each other.

"You think we care if you like each other? We care if you make money." Jeff chuckled at the cynicism and looked at the twenty year olds expressions of rage and despair. "Who ever this... girl was no longer is a part of the band. But don't worry. We did a survey and research to figure out the best match for the band."

"The best way would be finding Jade-"

"And she will meet you three here at practice at our next weekly check in."

Blake clenched his fists tighter at being ignore and allowed Scooter to guide him to sit back down.

"From here I'll be asking all of you to watch the group chat. We have a studio recording Wednesday and Thursday. A company lunch on Friday and Sunday we will be heading to San Fransisco."

By the end of the meeting the band left feeling like their souls had been sucked out by a vacuum cleaner and thrown into a paper shredder. They were no longer a punk rock band but a company made puppy destined to have T-Shirts gauged in Hot Topic and concert tickets sold at an unnecessarily high price to steal the most money possible.

"I miss Jade."

Rum and Scooter sighed in agreement, but no other words were spared as the three climbed into Blake's car and headed to go get drunk and high. Perhaps the drugs and alcohol would make the forget.

But the picture of five bodies in the garage would force them to always remember.