Bombshell

She is not fragile like a flower

She is fragile like a bomb

"You're fucking kidding me, Jade." Rico bit out at the youngest cousin. An anger on his face that she hadn't seen in many, many years made the girl wince. Miguel shifted nervously at the thick air around him. Jade wasn't one to cave under pressure easily and seeing her defenses break down after just a few sentences was...

He could swim through Jell-O easier than this conversation

"My hands were tied, Ri." Jade shrugged trying to hide the nervousness that she had at the situation. At least there wasn't any gun shots.

Yet.

To the cousins Miguel was an unexpected guest. A variable not accounted for and variables not accounted for could cause a colossal failure in the mission. He was a rock in the road for them and they didn't know if that rock would be useful or destructive or a plain burden.

Jade knew this and well...

"Tied?!" Rico hissed out he closed his eyes and lifted his hand in frustration. He did not understand what went through the teen's head and why she so nonchalantly blew his problem off. He took a moment to clench and unclench his fist almost like he was trying to grab hid last few brain cells of sanity. "Diego... talk to your cousin before I kill both of the teens in front of me."

Diego, ever the people pleaser, slid his way in between the emotionally stunted onesJade and Rico. He wondered how to approach this situation without bloodshed - or at least minimal blood spilt. Preferably none from the family. His eyes wandered over to the outsider and he felt pity for the obviously out of place teen.

"Three eyes and mouths are already too much for this mission..." Diego sighed, rubbing his face with his hand. Jade narrowed her eyes prepared to go down with a fight over Miguel. "Jade, you know that we can't keep him."

"He's not a fucking dog, dipshit." Rico snorted and turned towards the wall to lower his blood pressure. Jade clenched her fists beside her unhappily. The motel room seemed to get hotter and thicker as the seconds ticked by, the small analog clock didn't make it better with the noisy ticking. "His name is Miguel and he's a fighter."

Rico turned around quickly to face the teens again while pulling out his gun from his waistband. Jade saw the movement and threw Miguel behind her - Miguel having flinched away at the barrel pointed at him.

"Fighter my ass, Jade." Rico said coldly, gun still pointed. Jade refused to move, even though Miguel was still taller than the girl. "Kid can't even look at a barrel without flinching! He's gonna be dead by next week with that attitude!"

"Everyone would flinch at a fucking gun shoved in their face, pinche pendejo!" Jade yelled back, gesturing to the loaded gun. "Leave him alone!"

"He's gonna get all of us killed!"

"He doesn't know anythin'!"

"The kids a liability, Jade!"

"He's older than me!"

Miguel was starting to feel a lot of different emotions and tried to pretend that his life wasn't being threatened. This was so so surreal. The motel fight, the gun shooting, car chase... His brain felt like it was in the back seat while someone else took the wheel as stressful events continued to grow in depth and danger. Now, a gun was in his face and his friend was fighting possibly for his ability to continue living.

Was it really worth all of this just to see his father?

The voice of Johnny ringing through his head echoed almost torturously and the envelope crumbled in his pocket waved heavily like lead. Words reminding him that Johnny was not his dad and even though he tried to be something he still failed at it. Robby would always come first because that was his son