XI. Remembering An Old Friend - Part 1

It was quite a bumpy ride on the group's flight to Malibu, California

It was quite a bumpy ride on the group's flight to Malibu, California. Everyone was strapped on their seats and the plane was filled with the sound of clinking glasses filled halfway by liquor, the flipping of pages while Y/N reads, and the whisper bickerings of Sanzu and Rindou as they played the games on Kokonui's Ipad. They were scolded an hour ago by Ran who was trying to sleep in the seat beside his wife, Y/N turned to see her husband sleeping soundly. She tucks in a lock of his hair that was dangling in front of his face and fixes the blanket covering him, as his husband wanders in dreamland it seemed that their son is also accompanying him as he naps quietly in the seat where his baby chair was placed and strapped on.

As she puts her attention back to her book someone clears their throat to get her attention. She lifts her gaze to see Kakucho standing on Ran's side.

"Uhm, may I sit with you three? Sanzu and Rindou are being noisy so I can't rest." He asks, looking at the vacant seat in front of Y/N and then at her.

"Of course, feel free to do so," She smiles.

Kakucho nods and carefully walks to his seat. Y/N returns to reading when she feels a staring gaze, she lifts her head to look at Kakucho.

"What's wrong?" she tilts her head, "Are you uncomfortable? Do you want a pillow?"

Kakucho shakes his head, "No, I was just trying to see what you're reading."

"Oh, it's 'Where The Thorns Bloom'."

"Where The Thorns..." He repeats, "Oh, I know that book."

Y/N's eyes widen and sparkles were almost visible, "Really?"

Kakucho nods, "I have an old friend that likes that book."

"That's unusual, I, too have a friend who enjoyed this book." she laughs.

Kakucho tilted his head and stayed quiet, Y/N closes her book and asks Kakucho what was wrong, and straightened his back.

"That book was actually introduced to him by a female friend, too."

"That's odd," she said placing down her book on her lap. "I used to have a friend when I was in high school whom I showed this book to, I even let him take it home for his roommate to read."

Kakucho's eyes widen, quite taken aback by the uncanny situation and familiarity of their stories.

"Say, did you happen to work at a convenience store in Yokohama a few blocks away from xx apartment?" He asked.

"Was that the run-down apartment with spiky fences?" She answered with another question, and Kakucho nods in response.

"Yeah, I worked there!" She whisper shouted, excited by the thought that they might have unknowingly met way before Bonten existed. "Did your friend have straight white hair and was long enough to reach his eyes and also has an undercut, oh! And a pair of pretty purple eyes."