II. Who are you?

The drive back to his house was covered with complete silence after our exchange of words earlier

The drive back to his house was covered with complete silence after our exchange of words earlier. I didn't know what to say and he didn't think of talking either. Must've been because he wanted me to rest, but as much as I want to lay down I can't take the tension taking over the air. Everything was uncomfortable, I felt cramped in my seat and the car was confining. I kept wriggling in my seat, I must've looked like a worm.

Something made me jump as I felt something touch my leg, I looked. Ran placed his hand on my thigh as he held the steering wheel with the other, eyes looking ahead. "Is there something wrong? You keep on moving around. Uncomfortable?" he asked.

"Yes, a little," I answered as I stare at his hand on my thigh.

"Hmm, guess I'll get the car seats replaced."

"May I ask why?"

"Well, because I'll be driving you from now on. You work for us now, after all, the least I can do is to take care of you." he smiled.

"I see. But will you please remove your hand? I feel uncomfortable." I asked as I lightly tap the top of his hand.

He quickly moves it away and places it back on the steering wheel.

"Sorry about that. Kind of a habit." he reasoned.

"That just makes you sound like a jerk."

"I beg to disagree." He reasoned out.

"Really? Touching people's legs to comfort them?" I questioned.

He was about to say something when he realized it wasn't worth leaving his mouth. He closes it and shakes his head. I laughed at his defeated expression, he turned his line of sight and my direction as he watched me giggle and also burst into laughter.

"That was a turn-off, huh?" He sniggered.

"Definitely."

"Ahh, I ruined my chance." He whined, lifting his head up and rolling his eyes.

"What chance?" I raised my brow.

"I was totally hitting on you."

"You're a sucker for bad timing, huh? Not you flirting with a beat-up lady, who you just asked to be a part of a criminal organization to make drugs. As payment for her parents' debt." I said nonchalantly. As I turned to him, brows were still rising.

"Pft—" Ran burst out laughing. "I swear I'm not bad at flirting, but my tongue gets tangled up at the sight of you."

"Alrighty, Mr. Romantic." I giggled.

We talked about nonsense but it was enough to get rid of the tense atmosphere building up earlier. I don't know if his actions were intentional or if just led that way, pretty sure it was the latter one. A criminal casanova driving me home is one of the most fictitious things I could ever imagine, adding the fact of having a new side job besides worrying about how to survive with college expenses in mind, this unrealness is clouding up my head, forgetting the pain I'm experiencing at my back. Exhaustion filled me up, the lids of my eyes carried weights. I started to doze off.