Coming Out

In honor of pride month I am writing Rose's coming out. I'll get back to the story afterward.

Enchanted Forest
Rose's POV(15 years old)

After sitting on my throne for about an hour into the ball I finally see her. The same girl I've seen for the last four balls my mother has hosted. She has jet black hair and beautiful hazel eyes. It's clear she was friends with the other princes and princesses at the party; she stood with them in her elegant blue gown and smiled a genuine smile as they all talked with each other. I know that I was practically stalking her at this point, but ever since she talked to me at that first ball I couldn't get her out of my head. She was kind and wasn't scared that I was the infamous Killer Princess. She simple wanted...to hear me out.

I've known that I like men and woman for the last two years but haven't yet told anyone, especially Mother. I just don't know how she will react and I don't want her to hate me because of who I like.

Regina's POV

Rose finally talked to a princess her age at the first ball of the season and I was so glad that she was finally making friends. What I didn't expect, was for Rose to resort to watching her from a distance because she has a crush. It's very stalker like if you ask me but Rose is a teenager who is experiencing her first serious crush. She's not going to handle it in the best way. It's the fifth ball of the season and I think it's time for me to step in as her mother. Rose sits on her throne next to mine all night every ball and watches as she talks and dances with princes and princesses her age. I'm not going to let her sit here as this opportunity passes her up.

"Rose sweetheart, isn't that the girl who talked to you at the first ball of the season?" I say trying to be as discreet as possible.

"Hmm? Oh...ye-yes it is." She says trying to act like she hasn't been staring at her all night.

"Well she's Princess Julia and I think it would be nice if  you went over and talked to her." I say  and Rose meets my eyes with a frantic expression but quickly hides it.

"Why? You never make me talk to the royals who engage in conversation with me." She says going back to watching the dancing or rather Julia dancing.

"I just think you should talk to somebody your age." I say sounding a little harsher than I meant to.

"Ugh, mother she was nice but I just don't want to be friends with her." She says in an annoyed tone that I don't take lightly.

"Oh yes sweetie I can tell you want to be much more than friends." I say without thinking.

"What-no-I'm...wait what?!" She says clearly flustered.

Rose's POV

Mother knows I like girls! Oh she probably hates me.

"I'm sorry." She says in her most regal voice. "I was supposed to give you time to tell me yourself and I didn't." She says and looks out to the crowd of people to avoid my gaze. "You have a right to handle this how you want to and I didn't respect it."

"Well..." I say while thinking. "You gave me plenty of time but I was scared to tell you. However, seeing how you are desperately trying  to get me to dance with Princess Julia, has changed my perspective." I say in a playful tone.
"So let's try this again, okay?" I say and mother looks at me confused before a slight smirk appears on her face.

"Okay."

I clear my throat dramatically and then I turn away from her for a second before turning back around. "Mother I have something very important to tell you." I say with a smile on my face.

"What is it sweetheart?" She says with a matching smile on her face.

"I...like boys and girls." I say and for a second worry crosses my face.

"The proper term is bisexual and I do to." She says as an answer with a proud smile on her face.

"Wait what?!" I say in shock. "How come you never told me?"

"I didn't think I'd have to come out to my daughter." She says with a light chuckle and I start to laugh with her. "But I am proud of you for telling me, even if I messed up your coming out the first time." She says after our laughter has calmed down.

"I think it went perfectly. Now if you excuse me I have a princess to talk to." I say as I get up from my throne.

"Rose." I hear my mother whisper as I start to walk away. I turn around to face her and she sits up in her throne to remind me of my posture. I stand up straight and look at her with a nervous look. She returns with a soft smile and a nod behind me. When I turn around I see Princess Julia coming my way. I smooth down my dress, take a deep breath, and start to walk toward her to meet her half way.

"Hello princess Rose." She says as she curtsy's.

"Hello princess Julia." I say as I curtsy to her and then we go into an awkward silence. I turn halfway to look back at my mother and she flicks her wrist which replaces the music the orchestra has with a slightly slower waltz. She then makes a shooing motion with her hands and I turn toward Julia. "Um, care to dance?" I say and she starts to smile before clearing her throat.

"I would love to." She says and I take her hand as we walk toward the ballroom floor.