A Side Effect

Rose's POV
I felt a hand on my shoulder which snapped me out my thoughts as I reached for my dagger on instinct. When I looked over Snow looked at me shocked and worried.

"Are you okay, I've been calling your name for a while now." She said with worry in her eyes. I shrugged her hand off and regained my composure.

"Do you really think I'd tell you if I wasn't?" I replied harshly.

"You won't say it but you can't hide it." she said as she wiped a tear from my cheek that I didn't realize was there.

"Let me lead in peace. I don't confide in snitching princesses." I said as I jerked away from her and started walking faster.

I stopped at a hill that gave us the perfect view of the beanstalk.
"That ladies, is what we've been looking for." I said with a smile on my face.

"A beanstalk, seriously?!" Emma said in shock.

"Yep, and we're climbing it." I said and started walking down the hill.
_________________
When we arrived at the beanstalk everyone started fighting over who would go up. I personally didn't care if I went or not so I stayed out of it. Emma elected Snow and herself which I was fine with. Emma got some sleeping powder from Mulan for the only living giant and left to find the compass.

"We take shifts keeping watch." Mulan said as she set up a sun dial to keep time after Emma and Snow could no longer be seen.

"You got somewhere you need to be?" I asked suspicious of the sun dial. Something wasn't right that woman was always on edge but right now, something was off.

"It's to know when we change shifts." she said rolling her eyes at me.

"I'll take the first shift." Aurora said slightly eager.

"Look I may not be the caring type, but you haven't slept in days. What's wrong?" I asked trying to confirm my beliefs.

"When I sleep I have these terrible nightmares." she said a little unsure if she should trust me.

"A side effect of the sleeping curse." I said completely understanding her now.

"You've been under a sleeping curse?!" she asked shocked.

"No, but I study the side effects of curses, unlike my mom." I said chuckling at the princesses shock.
"Come on, I'll sit with you until you fall asleep."

Aurora skeptical laid her head on my lap and closed her eyes. She was still very tense and I felt bad for her. I started brushing her hair out her face with my hand, like my mother used to do when I had nightmares. Aurora relaxed slightly and soon fell asleep.

While she was sleeping, I soon retreated into the memories of my childhood.

Enchanted Forest (Rose is 10)

My mother has tried all day to get me away from my grandmother and I don't know why. She seemed rather nice and helped me practice magic. I was practicing trying to fly because after my mom told me I could go riding yesterday I started doing it without thinking. Grandma Cora saw this and told me I was special, that my magic was stronger than any she'd seen. I was ready to try my hardest to control it. Mother stormed out into the palace garden furious.

She looks mad. I said to Grandmother and she looked at me shocked while my mother was still out of ear shot.

"Sorry I didn't mean to scare you." I whispered to my grandmother.

"You are a very powerful child." she said to me with a smile at full volume.

"Yes, she is, but you're not gonna spend everyday here hiding her from me and training her, Mother." my mom said clearly angry at the situation.