Chapter Two - Trick or Treat, Freak

"Oh! I want to see those pearls! Yeah!" Your mom fangirls over Dustin's Ghost Busters costume. It was the next day, AKA Halloween, and you were currently waiting in the living room on the chair with Mews for them to hurry up with their photo shoot so you could actually get to school on time today.

"Who you gonna call??!" She asks, scatting her words once the question falls from her lips. Mews meows in response, and you turn to your furry friend. "I know, they're being weird." You say, scratching the cat behind the ears, he gently purrs at your touch.

"Are you guys done now??" You ask, ready to get going. "I swear Dustin, I am going to leave you if you don't hurry up." You threaten, putting your backpack on and walking out the front door to prove your point.

He walks out not even a second later, seeing how you were being serious. You had to ride your bike to school (unfortunately) as Nancy had told you that the two wouldn't be able to pick you up today, same with Jonathan. Leaving you to have to deal with your brother and his friends antics all by yourself.

Fortunately, Steve had agreed to take you to the party tonight after he picked up Nance. You would've honestly been fine biking to the party if it came down to it, but he said he didn't want you to go into the party all by yourself, which was honestly quite sweet.

"You're sure you want to do this?" You ask Dustin after Mike and Lucas had showed up and the group was nearing the school, slowing down a bit so the other kids went ahead of you.

"What do you mean by that?" He asks, confused by your question. "Your whole costume situation. Are you sure you want to do it?"

"Well I'm not going to back out last second, am I? Besides, it would be really uncool of me to be the only one in our class without one." He says, rolling his eyes at you.

"If you say so." And with that, you split ways so you could get to your school.

——————

"So, right here, you need to create a smart line to get your readers invested to read your essay, a hook is the professional term but-"

"Henderson, you're here to help me with my college application, not for a english vocabulary lesson."

"I get that, you douche. Maybe if you had payed attention in english vocabulary we wouldn't be here right now." You say, looking up to him from the essay with a cocked eyebrow, staring into his eyes before he breaks it. "You win." He admits, relaxing back into his chair with a stressed sigh.

You, Steve, and Nancy were all currently huddled up in the library. You only tagged along to help Steve with his essay, as Nancy had actual work to do and couldn't help him. You were sitting across from him, due to Nancy sitting beside him.

Nancy seemed to be deep in thought, her eyes still lingering on the same question she had been staring at for the past 15 minutes.

"This is a lost cause." He says hopelessly, about to crumble up this draft as well before you stop him, slamming your hand onto the paper.

"Hell no. We are going to finish this essay, Harrington. I'll do it myself if I have to. We're almost done with the draft, then you can transfer it to the final copy and then- boom. Done." You say, making an explosion with your hand. He scoffs at your suggestion.

"Like it's that easy. We've been working at this for the past hour-" His words are interrupted by Nancy's pencil lead snapping. She excused herself before going over to the pencil sharpener.

"You think she's okay?"

"Obviously not, Harrington. Yesterday was hard for all of us, but especially Nancy. They were best friends, they grew up together in that house." He nods his head in understanding, looking over to her with worry in his eyes.