fourteen

chapter fourteen:

"She's not like everyone else, Bryan. Please, just listen to me for once!" Jasper yelled at the top of his lungs.

"Where were you anyway? When she needed you most? When we lost a friend, Jasper. Where the fuck were you?" Bryan shouted back. The dark circles below Bryan's eyes were obvious and his eyes were bloodshot from all that crying.

"I... I was away, okay. Checking out colleges and stuff."

"Yeah, okay. Then explain to me what this is, Jasper." Bryan passed his phone to Jasper and slumped back onto the couch.

to: Bryan
from: Holly
6:28pm

Thanks for the other night & look who's with me! Jasper! We're going out clubbing tonight ;) xx

"Yeah, we went for a few drinks. Nothing else!" Jasper groaned at how his best mate kept getting on his nerve.

"Oh really? So you didn't happen to end up in her room? Because in the next text, she definitely told me everything with a picture." Bryan glared at his friend that looked taken aback at what he just said and Bryan knew that he just hit bull's eye.

"That was a mistake, okay?" Jasper sighed.

"Mistake? The only mistake was me believing that you'd actually like Carmen for being Carmen. The mistake here is that I actually forgave you after all the fucking shit you've put me through," Bryan said and immediately took a sip of his beer.

"You know what, Bryan? I'm sick and tired of you. I'm done trying to make sure I'm a clean cut dude for a girl that stiff. If I wanna go out with her, I will go out with her whether you approve of it or not!" Jasper shouted at Bryan and stormed off.

Carmen and Joan were in the kitchen of the café flipping through recipes and decided on making a flourless chocolate cake since that seemed simple.

"Hello!" Jasper called out from the counter. Carmen got a tad little excited when she heard his voice. Joan shooed her away to go entertain Jasper while she tried to complete this entire cake on her own.

"Hi. Long time no see, biker boy." Carmen laughed and the brunette boy.

"Do I get a hug or something?" He smiled at her sweetly. When he hugged her, she smelled like vanilla and he loved it.

"So, what are you doing here?" she asked and brewed him a cup of cappuccino.

"Well, I thought that I should make up for the time that I have missed while I was away. Dinner tonight? We can talk all about it then." He paid for his coffee and sat down at his favourite seat by the window.

"Yeah... why not?" She grinned at the thought of it. She was excited because she finally got the chance to hang out with him.

"Great! I'll pick you up at seven?"

"Okay. See you then," Carmen replied and gave him a kiss on his cheek.

Carmen shuffled her steps quickly back into the kitchen when she heard Joan call for her help. She laughed at the sight of the mess in the kitchen that her new colleague had made.

Carmen was falling too hard, too fast, and she knew it. She was afraid that this time, nobody would be there at the bottom to catch her before she crashed and burned.