thirteen

chapter thirteen:

"Checkmate!" Andy said loudly with pure joy.

"Congrats," Bryan answered uninterested and took another gulp at his Corona.

"Bry," Andy called him, almost a whisper.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," Bryan muttered and tripped on his own foot. "Fuck."

When Andy wanted to help Bryan up, Bryan just waved him off. Andy's heart broke at the sight of his boyfriend being so broken. He knew he couldn't do anything to help.

"Please, Bry. If there's anything I can do..."

"To help?" Bryan chuckled. "There's nothing you can do, Andy. Nothing."

"I know words can't do shit right now, but, talk to me Bry. Let me in. Let me understand." He said softly as he knelt beside Bryan.

"He was a good guy, you know? He's a wanker," Bryan laughed. "Definitely a wanker, but he's a great friend."

"I know, babe." Andy scooped Bryan up in his arms and tucked him into bed.

"How do you deal with loss? How do you deal with all the pain and tears that come with it? It never seems to fucking end!"

"The pain will always be there, babe. But you have to know that it's not your fault, alright?"

"How was it not my fault? If we saw the signs, he'd still be here shooting sarcastic remarks at all of us and we'd laugh it off," Bryan exclaimed.

Bryan leaned against Andy's chest. Hearing the rhythmic beating of his heart seemed to calm him a little. He could never stop crying since that day it all happened. He wondered if he was already suffering this bad, what about Eddie's little sister, Joan?

Carmen knelt by Eddie's grave and placed a bouquet of flowers in front of the tombstone. There was a light breeze and she could hear the leaves rustling. She turned around when she heard some crunching of leaves.

"Hey." Joan waved and gave a smile.

"How are you?" Carmen asked.

"I'm good," Joan answered. "I confronted my parents about it."

"What did they say?"

"They gave me two choices. One, to move on because apparently I'm a Miller and we don't let 'stupid incidents' like this affect us or two, they'll cut ties with me if I continue to brood about this."

"What the fuck? Sorry but are your parents bashed in the head with hammers or what?"

"Exactly what I said to them. So, I sort of am not a Miller anymore." Joan smiled, genuinely. Her hands traced the top of her brother's tombstone.

"So where are you living?"

"Still searching and am searching for a job too."

"Why not live with me? I have a spare room and you can get a job at where I work. Lexi's searching for a new employee, part-time on weekdays and full-time on weekends."

"Really? Are you serious?" Joan asked, totally bewildered.

"Yeah, why not? After all, my place is dead silent since... yeah." Carmen glanced at the tombstone about three tombstones behind Eddie's. It was her mum's.

Joan made plans on packing her things and moving into Carmen's place first thing tomorrow. Carmen smiled happily and left for her shift.

"In loving memory of Eddie Millers. A truly cherished brother and friend. Tragically taken from us on 19th April 2015. Aged 19 years," Joan read out from what was carved on the tombstone. "Memories are a golden chain that bind us till we meet again."