three

chapter three:

Life never seemed to be as beautiful as a banana split with a cherry on top for Carmen. Well, there definitely was a split in her family.

"Carmen, we need to talk." Her dad cornered her at the local café where she was working at.

"Talk about what? How you decided to just pack up and fucking leave your sick wife to go bang some fucking slut?" she retorted quietly, hoping that they wouldn't disturb the customers and glared at him.

"Don't you dare talk about your stepmother that way, Carmen Dunn!" he shouted, not bothering about the customers in the café.

"It's not Dunn anymore. It's Carmen Adler. Honestly, why the fuck are you even here?" she exclaimed while trying to be calm because she didn't want to cause a massive commotion.

"You're going to have a stepbrother."

"Oh, so there's a bastard child on the way? Great job, Jonah Dunn. Leaving your sick wife to a thirteen year old child for a fucking slut and now you're going to be a father... again!" Carmen lost it and laughed. "Don't fuck up this time, aye, Dunn."

Before she could respond or say anything, she felt a stinging pain on her right cheek. Her dad slapped her. In public- where she worked.

"Don't you fucking dare talk about Andrea that way, Carmen! Why can't you just be happy for me?"

"Don't you get it? You left when we needed you the most. So you don't have the fucking rights to storm into my workplace and expect me to hug you and be happy for you when you were gone for the past five fucking years! So why don't you do us all a favour and just continue your act of disappearance for the rest of my life?"

Jonah gave Carmen another tight slap on her left cheek. Carmen merely chuckled. "Great. Go be an abuser for all I care. I hope your bastard son doesn't grow up to be a fucker like you," she spat.

When her dad stormed out of the shop, she leaned against the wall and slid down. Her legs could hardly function after all that drama she had to put up with. Everything was a mess. She laughed at how miserable her life was and soon came the tears.

"You okay?" asked a customer.

"Here, dear. Have some tea," said an old lady who offered her a cup.

"You should just report him to the cops, Carmen," Jenny, a regular customer exclaimed.

"As if they'll deal with it," said another customer.

"I'm fine. Thank you. I'm sorry you guys had to deal with that commotion," Carmen said softly and stood up. She dusted her apron and jeans before giving them a tight lipped smile. Carmen quickly wiped her tears away and gave everyone a muffin as compensation.

"Oh my," the old lady exclaimed and patted the back of Carmen's hand as Carmen put the free muffin into a paper bag for her. "You have a few cuts on your cheek, my dear."

"Must have been some of his rings. It's alright." Carmen gave a tiny smile and went to the kitchen.

She offered to wash the dishes while another staff took over the counter shift. She washed the dishes slowly while she relived each painful moment with tears streaking down her face. If anyone asked, she'd say that she got some dishwashing liquid into her eyes.

__________
Author's Note: Jonah Dunn... sounds like Jonathan doesn't it? I ran out of last names. Haha! x