ten

chapter ten:

"Hears of what?" Carmen hummed a tune that was close to her heart as she peeked through the kitchen door.

Bryan quickly hung up, pretty much afraid of what was going to happen next. He didn't want Carmen to find out about Jasper's bet. He didn't want Carmen's heart to shatter into a billion pieces, but he wouldn't mind sitting there picking each shattered piece up anyway.

"Didn't your mother ever tell you to never eavesdrop on a conversation, Carmen?" Bryan retorted sassily.

"Well, she isn't here, is she?" Carmen laughed and went back into the kitchen to bake some yummy goodies.

Bryan walked into the kitchen to just hang with her for a bit. The staff didn't mind Bryan's presence. He was almost like a brother to all of them.

"So... was that Andy on the phone?" Carmen said and grinned as she rolled out the dough.

"Andy?"

"Yeah. All I heard was 'hears of this' from the conversation you had. So?"

"Oh... yeah." He heaved a sigh of relief, finally able to avert the attention. "I obviously want to tell you all about our little date, don't I?"

"Obviously," Carmen scoffed.

While Carmen crimped the edges of the pie, she nodded along to Bryan's story of his date with Andy. Before she shut the oven door, she whispered in her heart to the unbaked pie to be beautifully baked when the oven bell dings. It was something her grandmother taught her.

"I feel like I'm living the dream, you know?" Bryan said and sighed.

"I know. You've liked him since high school, innit?"

"Yes! And to think he actually went out with Vanessa." Bryan rolled his eyes at the thought of it.

"Since you scored a date with Andy with my help, can you please tell me more about Jasper?"

Bryan sighed. He was seriously considering to tell her the truth but he knew that she'd be hurt way too easily or much worse, their friendship would be on the line.

Before Bryan could utter anything, Jasper peeked through the kitchen door and his eyes immediately fell when he saw Bryan.

"Jasper!" Carmen called out excitedly like a little girl being given candy.

"Hey, Carmen," he greeted and swooped in for a hug.

"Bryan's here," she smiled.

"Yeah, I know."

"I'm leaving." Bryan stormed out of there, faster than you could say 'apple pie'.

"Bryan, wait!" Jasper rushed out and grabbed ahold of Bryan's arm.

"Let my fucking arm go." Bryan had his hands balled into fists and his teeth gritted through each word.

"Did you tell her?" Jasper asked with full of concern and worry as he let go of Bryan's arm.

"Use your fucking brains. If I did, she wouldn't have greeted you like a kid seeing candies, would she?"

"Thank you."

"You have a choice here, Heath. Either you tell her the truth, or the truth comes from me; which won't be a pretty scene."

"Bryan, don't. Please. Can't we just let bygones be bygones?" Jasper pleaded. He didn't want to lose his friend, or even lose the girl he finally had a connection with!

"The truth will always come back and bite you in the ass, Jasper. Don't say I didn't warn you."