Chapter 24

They all stayed in the hospital, Greggy didn't leave his daughter, his family rather. Kate stayed at the side of Imee's bed holding her hand, whispering to her. Irene on the other hand was just staring at her daughter which caught Greggy's eyes.

He can feel her pain as a mother and the sense of longing she's feeling. Irene then gaze at Greggy when she felt him staring, she weakly smile at him and Greggy does the same. He build up his courage to go near her since they're the only one who's awake, the others were asleep because of the exhaustion and tiredness they're currently feeling as of the moment.

"Rene, aren't you going to sleep? Sabi, kakadating niyo palang." Greggy opens up, Irene looked at him, gesturing that all is well.

"Would you mind if I sit beside you?" Greggy asked softly, Irene then shook her head.

"Of course not, sit here oh." Irene replied as she taps the space beside her.

"How's you? Its been awhile.." Greggy decided to break the silence, without glancing at Irene. Irene on the other hand was surprise by her ex-husband's sudden question.

"Good, knowing that Manang is finally out of danger now. I prayed so hard for that, also because, I don't want Kate to lose the very important person in her life." Irene uttered, whispering.

Greggy repeatedly nods, "But if that scene was real earlier, nanjan ka naman for her diba?" he ask. Irene glance at him, as he does.

"Well yeah in all ways, but like she said earlier, she needs manang more than she needs me." Irene cooed, not wanting Kate to hear her.

"She once needed you kasi, she thought you'll come yet you didn't. Si manang naman, she was always there for her." Greggy confessed which made Irene fixed her gaze unto him.

"What do you mean?" Irene ask, almost whispering.

"Remember 2 years ago, Bongbong called you, he was about to tell you about Kate, she was confined in the hospital for I think a week because of dengue but you didn't let him finish kasi sabi mo you'll talk to him later that day kasi you're in a crowded. place, I think you said you're attending a family day in a certain school." Greggy stated, Irene recall that scenario and she remembered that right away, It's family day in Janella's school, that's the time where she give all her time to her because of her longing for Kate.

"And why didn't he called me after?" You? Why didn't you call me?" Irene ask, trying her best to keep her voice low.

"Kasi manang told him not to, she thought that you're busy with something else, she told us that she'll be the one to take care of Kate. She even filed a one week leave sa Senate para sakanya." Greggy told her, that made Irene's heart shattered even more. She realized that she failed, she failed in everything, she thought that Kate's treatment to her now is her punishment for all the mistakes she have done.

"If I remembered it correctly, she was terribly sick night before we rush her to the hospital, she was mentioning your name and that needs you.." Greggy whispered, Irene can't handle the pain and guilt anymore, her tears were now streaming down to her cheeks as she clutch her chest. She immediately gets out of the room before she could even sob. Kate look at the door and glance at her father with a question look, Greggy shook his head saying that there's nothing to worry about. He excused himself to follow Irene.

"Rene.." Greggy called her, he saw her sitting on the floor while hugging her niece.

"Stand up.." Greggy told her, he assisted her so she could manage standing up. Irene wasn't able to react right away when Greggy held her waist for assistance.

"I failed Gorio, I hurt her so much, I deserve all the pain I'm experiencing right now." Irene utters, tears were still flowing on her cheeks.

Greggy rubs her back, "But you were an awesome mother to her way back and I know she still remembers how you cared for her." he consoles her.

"Maybe she has this pain in her heart but you're still her mother and I know she still cares for you, Kate is a soft woman Irene, she just needs to feel that you're there for her, that she can lean unto you." Greggy remarks, he wants his mag-ina to reconcile. He knows that Kate also wants to do that, it's just that maybe there's something that bothers her.

"I tried, I really tried- " Irene replied but Greggy didn't let her finish.

"Irene, yes you did, but one day is a short time lang. She can't forgive you kung susuko ka agad. She's marupok, bibigay din yun sayo. Ikaw pa ba." Greggy contends and release a soft laugh as he say the last sentence.

"Sorry." Irene shortly said, they both looked at each other, Irene didn't know what her sorry is for. Greggy smile at her and caress her back gently.

When Irene calmed down, she decided to break the silence that's surrounding her and her ex-husband.

"So, it's time for me to ask naman. How's you?" Irene said after releasing a deep sigh.

"Still the same, I guess.." Greggy replied and chuckles.

"Features? Hmm..." Irene muttered as she observe Greggy's physical look.

"Still the same nga, your eyes, your nose, your smile, your whole face. Parang hindi tumanda ah." Irene commented, Greggy shook his head several times hiding his smile. They are both glad to feel comfortable with each other's company. Still the same? Yes it is, same feeling, same person, different time & different status.

"Well, ano.. Let's call this a day?" Irene said, she's suffocated with the silence surrounding them after a topic ends.

"Very well.." Greggy answers as he nods.

"Thank you, Gorio.." Irene shyly uttered, Greggy genuinely smile as a response.

They went back inside the room, Almost everyone are reprimanding Kate to sleep & rest first since the others were already awake.

"Iya, sleep na late na." Liza insisted.

"Alliana, don't be stubborn. Go rest." Greggy ordered, Kate looks at him with her tired eyes.

"But daddy, I'm okay.." Kate replied, saying the same words over and over again.

"Your eyes tells your tired go na, don't be such hard-headed love." Greggy said sweetly, Kate then gaze on her mama Imee and sigh. She nods and place herself comfortable at the sofa were no one occupies.

"Scam yung hindi inaantok." Sandro talked, they all chuckle as they fix their gaze to Kate who's already sleeping.

Irene smile, she went near to where her daughter is currently sleeping, without saying anything. She kneeled down and caress her daughter's forehead as she planted a soft kiss.

"Why don't you rest too, Irene." Bongbong suggested, he's aware that Irene didn't have a sleep nor a rest yet.

"Tabihan mo nalang.." Greggy added, Irene softly chuckles.

"Magagalit lang yan paggising na ako ang katabi. Why don't you rest too Greggy, ikaw na tumabi kay Iya." Irene replied, looking at him.

"I'm not tired, you can occupy this couch so you could sleep comfortably." Greggy aforesaid, Bongbong and the others were just witnessing how they still care for each other. Greggy then stood up so Irene could rest, Greggy also laid down beside his daughter since there's still a space.

Bongbong, Liza and the boys were the ones who take in-charge on taking care and watching Imee while the Araneta's were currently taking their nap.

Sorry for the wrong grammars and misspelled words.
Vote and Comment
X

Our Moving-up is approaching and it means I could not be able to update everyday, sending patience for the upcoming chapters. Thank you for y'll support! Bawi ako after, vacation na din naman. Mwa!