20

Note: I try not to drag things and put in unnecessary details, but my main focus is on making Ava and Xanthos understand each other in a way that atleast one person says, they were meant to be, so their conversations where they are discovering things about each other might be a little detailed.

● AUTHOR'S POV

"So, you're basically telling me, that we have no chance together, because one day, I might die?" Xanthos questioned, as he stood in one corner of the room, still close enough to easily hear what Ava had to say; who now sat on the bed, her hands desperately roaming about, searching for something to clutch onto, which wouldn't be her clothes, as she still had a few hours left on her shift, and she didn't want to crease her job outfit.

"Ava, I think now, it is my moral duty to inform you, obviously with a heavy heart, that immortality is a mere fairytale concept, and death is indeed inevitable, one day or another, every soul will taste it." Xanthos added, staring back at Ava, who; now quite visibly; was mentally smacking her forehead in frustration.

"God! That's not what I meant." she argued, as her shoulders slouched, with the thought of having to go on a rant to explain her point.

Her mind was already caught up by the earlier steamy events, she had to keep restraining her body, from reliving the electricity she felt, when her skin came in contact with his soft kisses, or when his breath fanned against her ears making the hair on it stand, he was sinfully sensual, and the sexual tension slowly erupting inside of her, was really taking a toll on her boundaries, boundaries she almost felt would get wrecked for good, if Xanthos had gone on any longer.

"The idea of having comfort in one's life, and having something fancy added to it once in a while, isn't bad at all. I do not say that I wouldn't want a life of ease and would like to keep living the way I do, like some female protagonist with sunshine blonde hair and ocean blue orbs, who'd very much prefer to smell like grass and cow dung, and take all the harshness of the bullies; which for her, the whole world is, except for her Prince Charming, rather than having a comfortable life being thrown at her by the very Prince, in a silver platter." Ava spat out in one breath, and Xanthos parted his lips only to close them again, as if deciding not to interfere and let her keep going, even though his expressions slightly hinted; him perhaps not understanding the point Ava was trying to make.

"For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted a happy, content life. Which, I've learned over the years, is quite a difficult thing to obtain. If you have money, you don't have the health to enjoy it, and if you have health, you might not have the money to enjoy that. Something is always lacking, true happiness is unachievable. But, that doesn't rule out the possibility, that you can have a bittersweet life, and maybe, just maybe, the sweetness would be enough to overcome some of the bitter memories, making you realize, when your time has finally come, that you did have a happy life." Ava reasoned, her voice sounded as if had gone looking for some distant memories, reminiscing and being thankful to her bittersweet life up until now.

"And hence I decided, true happiness is indeed obtainable, it is the name of the courage of having this belief, that good days will come. You can have everything what others might consider their true happiness, but if your heart's not content, if your heart does not have the faith that your better days will come, then all is meaningless. This very courage has made me stand, and keep living until now, it showed me that even though times had been rough, help always came, things did get better, good days did indeed come. Having no influential status, no contacts, nothing, yet still continuing to live, eat, and breathe just fine, amidst the loan sharks who most probably wish me nothing but harm, is what help in rough times is, when I think about how worse things could have gotten, it sends shivers up my spine. I realized this late, but, you were indeed the one who gave me hope for the good days, and I'll always be grateful for that, but being with you doesn't fit the picture of my happy life." Ava stated, capturing Xanthos' gaze.