2

● AUTHOR'S POV

His jaw clenched, gripping Ava's collar he pulled it, bringing her face closer, and making her look at him in shock. "I guess you do need to be disciplined personally, little mouse." he whispered, making each word sound like a lethal poison taking over Ava's existence.

His words were threatening and made Ava fear for her life, as the one standing infront of her wasn't someone whose words could be taken lightly. It was only her intense urge to survive, that made her go against him, his name alone was enough to make people tremble in fear, as this man, Xanthos Aldine, really was the devil's incarnation.

Ava kept staring at his cold green eyes, that had turned two shades darker than before. His broad and strong shoulders refrained Ava from being able to see anything across them.

She was trying to not fall back into the snake pit she had just escaped for the third time, because she knew, she knew that being caught trying to flee for the third time, was really testing the devil's patience.

And being the person to do that was not someone she fancied being, but she had to fight for her life, she had the right to live the way she wanted to, have her sunny days and her rainy days below the sky she would breathe under without any constraints, so she ended up becoming the one to defy the devil.

"This is not fair." Ava made an inaudible whisper looking down, and her eyes met his neatly polished black shoes, which were shining as if they had never been worn before, and Ava thought how the shoes seemed to be in a better condition than her.

Ava's voice sounded too small for someone who had been looking strong and ready to fight for herself all this time, it was as if she had realized how tiring life had been for her, since the day she started to make sense of the world around her.

She just wanted to live, but even breathing freely at her own will seemed too far fetched of an idea now.

One would think that her remark of not being fair was for the emerald eyes staring deeply at her, but in reality she intended it towards her fate, how could it be this cruel? how could it keep breaking her resolve as if it was toying with her? and how could she still be alive and wanting to live after being downtrodden upon by this wretched world innumerable times?

"Don't ever willingly succumb to this world, it will step on you every chance it gets, it's your decision whether you let it step on you and move on, or prick thorns into its feet and give it a good fight."

These words suddenly rung in her head like a loud bell, waking her up, and she felt as if she remembered again why she had been struggling for herself all this time. The words came shattering her weakened resolve and seeding a much more stronger one in her, making her decide, if she really was to die at the hands of the devil, then atleast she wouldn't make it easy for him.

Ava was done being sensible, waiting for opportunities and being blamed for others' mistakes. It was only fair to be punished after doing something wrong. If truly becoming a defiant was something she had to do now, she will.

Why bother being afraid and try to make things work when they won't work no matter how hard one tried. She had decided to atleast die with the satisfaction that she fought, even if it meant being a rebel and reaching extremes.

With a little fire sparking inside of her, Ava raised her head and stared back at the sinful green eyes. "Well, then let me give you a reason to discipline me." Ava said and within a split second she pulled back her head only to headbutt the charming face infront of her right in the nose.