Chapter 27

After a weekend of peace, the chaos has returned, but I am not in the least bit upset about that

I am still in the shower but I can hear the commotion downstairs, like it is happening in my own bedroom and not two floors below me. Today at noon we have our first practice so all the guys are moving in today. A few of the new guys in the house moved in yesterday because they had more to do but most guys who already lived in the house decided to show up today. The freshmen arrived Friday but none of us have met them yet.

I figured out yesterday when Dunk arrived that no one besides Bray and Stan knows I am back. Of course my Coach does but the team has no idea. The last they heard I had an offer from the Isles and since they didn't announce I wasn't signing and Michigan never announced I was coming back a lot of guys assumed. So with that knowledge I decided to make it a surprise instead of telling the groupchat.

Francesca stayed over last night but left earlier today for team introductions. She is so excited to take the new freshmen under her wing, it was all she talked about last night. She read me all their bios and showed me competition footage for hours. She kept saying how lucky she was to skate with so many talented people but I think they're the lucky ones. Anyone who gets to be in Francesca presence, to experience her is so fucking lucky they have no idea. That girl is too fucking good for this world honestly.

After my shower I get dressed and decide to make my return known to the rest of my team. Practice is in an hour so most of them should be here by now.

"Why is Ryder's draft jersey hung up in the living room," someone calls out.

"Because," Bray screams back as if that answers anything. Honestly, being drafted isn't a big deal at all in this house. Of our 30 man roster about 20ish guys will go on to play in the NHL. The other 10 honestly probably could but don't want to. Even Stan who swears he is the worst guy on the team could probably make the big leagues if he really wanted to.

"That isn't an answer Bray," someone else yells.

"Because I didn't have space in my room to hang it," I say coming down the stairs into the packed kitchen. Everyone is filling their waters and prepping for practice but the room gets painfully quiet when I walk in.

"Holy shit," Mac gasps like he is seeing a ghost.

"The Capt is back," Brick cheers and then the silence breaks out into screaming, like a bunch of teen girls at a One Direction concert. I am bum rushed by the entire house, and their excitement to having me back squashes any remaining doubt I might have had.

"Yes yes I am back, now get your fucking asses to Yost before Coach has us skating sprints our first day."

The room empties quickly, everyone grabbing their stuff and running out to their cars. We still have time but I can't have them thinking I've gone soft on them now that I have a girlfriend. The little ice princess really is fucking with my reputation as a hardass.