Chapter 6

I wake up sweating with something heavy on my chest

I wake up sweating with something heavy on my chest. I crack one eye open and freeze when I realize I am not in my own room, in my own bed and that the heavy thing on my chest is Francesca.

"Shit, fuck," I curse while trying to slide her off me into her bed. Her bedroom door is open and I can hear that people are up already.

I grab my phone and see that it is only 7am which is early for me to be up but the adrenaline rushing through me has me wide awake. I need to get out of here and into my own room before Francesca's parents get mad at me.

I think I am in the clear just about to quietly shut Francesca's bedroom door and run across the hall to my own room when I catch movement out of the corner of my eye.

"Good morning," Gio greets with a tired smile and two cups of coffee.

"I'm sorry," I blurt instantly. "She didn't feel good and we were tired and..."

Gio holds his hand up, cutting me off. I grab my hands trying to stop them from shaking. I wouldn't blame them for being pissed if I was a dad. No way I would want my daughter's boyfriend sleeping in her room. Not that I would really want a daughter to begin with, worrying about Francesca all the time is already stressful enough. I am not even sure we will have kids one day but if we do I definitely want a boy.

"Breath Ryder."

I exhale a shaky breath and try to breathe in again but I feel like I can't get enough air into my lungs.

"Did you sleep well?"

I stare at Gio in shock causing him to laugh at my expense. Why isn't he screaming? The rule that we are to sleep in separate rooms was never explicitly said but it was pretty obvious. I respect the hell out of Francesca's parents and the last thing I would ever want to do is break one of their rules.

"I... um yeah?"

Gio looks at her daughter's bedroom door with concern. " She isn't feeling good? Is she ok?"

"Girl stuff," I mumble, my brain still lagging to keep up with this conversation.

"Ah ok, that explains why she was a little off last night."

I nod.

"You aren't in trouble," Gio finally says.

I have been staring at the floor but I finally look up. Gio looks sincere but I still have this guilt chewing at my insides. Disappointing him feels worse than disappointing my own parents. "I really didn't mean to sleep in her room. It was an accident that will never happen again," I vow.

"I am going to go out on a limb and say that last night wasn't the first time you two slept in the same bed." Gio makes a humming noise as my cheeks heat up. "Not saying to make a habit of it but if you guys fall asleep watching TV well, shit happens."