Chapter 15

"I think I am sick, I better go back home," I rush as we pull onto Anders Lee's block

"I think I am sick, I better go back home," I rush as we pull onto Anders Lee's block. Just to sell my story a little bit better I even add a pathetic, fake cough, right out of mean girls.

"Butt, why are you so nervous? Everyone always loves you."

"Kate doesn't, and why doesn't Kate? Oh yeah because I don't fit in!"

"Babe you can't seriously think anyone here is anything like that little rich bitch with a mean girl complex. She picked on you in high school because she was insecure and jealous. You were smart, a talented skater with real Olympic possibilities, and you were drop dead gorgeous! Yeah she had money but you had everything else and that clearly made her insecure. "

"It wasn't just her," I defend. "I had no friends in high school that weren't my brothers or cousins!"

"Alright this is going to sound a little harsh but sometimes we have to hurt feelings, or at least that's what you told me before telling me I had an ugly pinky toe." I roll my eyes even though I am not all that surprised he is still hung up on the pinky toe comment. My boyfriend's ego is so easily wounded. "Babe did you really try to make friends in high school? To be anyone's friend? From what I know from your stories you lived at the rink and besides your trainer and family you rarel, if ever, made time for others."

I pause, my bottom lip trembling a little. He is right, the few people that I would talk to at school I constantly blew off for ice time until eventually people stopped trying. I mean some people were still horribly cruel even before then, but I made myself a loner at the end of the day. I tried to do the same at college but Luna was clingy and Parker didn't know boundaries. They forced themselves into my life and dragged poor Maya down with them.

"But some of them were so cruel," I finally say, trying really hard not to cry as we park and I see Tito and his girlfriend walking toward the front door.

"Not everyone is them babe. Look at me Francesca." I don't look, so Ryder grabs my face gently, forcing me to look at him. "When we met you couldn't stand me because I was just another hockey player, but then you put all that aside and got to know me."

"It was forced," I mumble, as a smile pulls at both our lips.

"Put those bad experiences aside and go into this with an open mind. Think about everyone at hockey house, they all like you, even Stan, the richest person you'll probably ever meet."

"Stan is harmless. I don't think he even knows how to raise his voice."

"You weren't around for the aftermath of the Pman fight. Trust me he can raise his voice very loud; especially when Maya is involved. Now come on let's go," Ryder instructs as he climbs out of the car. I put my new phone carefully in my bag with both our bathing suits and towels and then climb out.

"Little Ryder," Tito greets from the front walkway of the Lee's house as Ryder grabs my hand comfortingly.

"Hi Tito," I greet laughing at his ridiculous looking red white and blue romper. "Nice fit."