Chapter 10

Normally camp at the rink is my favorite week of the summer but this year I just don't want to be here

Normally camp at the rink is my favorite week of the summer but this year I just don't want to be here. Yesterday the kids were demons and when I got home to find my family and boyfriend eating dinner together without me I wanted to scream. Now today Ryder is at the vet with our baby, while I am stuck here anxiously checking my phone for updates. The only reason I am doing this is because what I make this week should be enough to finally cover buying a new phone.

"Miss Francesca," a girl, who is way too old to be whining, whines. "I am hungry."

"It is 10:30am," I sigh as I check my phone again. These kids have only been here since 9am and I have had 3 now ask me when is lunch. Lunch is at noon, it is at noon every day!

I check my phone again waiting for a text from Ryder who has been at the vet since 9:15. What is taking him so long? She is tiny, it can't take that long to check her over right? Besides we just think she can't hear, which isn't bad. She is fine. I just keep replaying in my head that she is fine until my phone vibrates in my hand.

Ryder: Heading home with Sof then I will be at the rink

Me: Is she ok?

Me: She is fine right?

Me: Ryder?

Me: Ry??

Me: HELLO????

I groan and shove my phone in my pocket in annoyance. He is probably driving so he won't check his phone for a while, especially since he is running late already. Instead of anxiously checking my phone more I turn to my group of girls who are all gossiping about the group of hockey players on the ice.

My group is made up of 15 9-year-old girls who currently are infatuated with the group of 15 9-year-old boys running hockey drills. I laugh because at their age I was the same way. I would attend this camp and my group would also fawn over the hockey boys, and then we got older and they became less cute and more obnoxious and that infatuation turned into hatred. Well until it reverted back some time in January when I spent half of my ice time stealing glances at the tall quiet hockey player I shared the ice with.

"I know their counselor," I say with a sly smile, getting all the girls to look at me. The hockey boys counselor, Jason, is an old friend of my brother Joe and currently in school to be a teacher, so this summer gig is perfect for him. Jason played hockey with my brother for years and every time I see him he still asks about Joe.

"Do you really," I little girl gushes looking at me in awe.

"Oh yeah I totally know Jason. I can ask him if the boys want to share a table with us during lunch today." I am met with a choir of sequels from the girls. "Ok as soon as they're done I will go over and ask Jason if they have a table buddy already."

"I want a table buddy too," Ryder whispers in my ear coming up behind me and wrapping his arms around my torso.

The girls all get quiet and nudge each other abandoning the pre pubescent boys they were obsessed with moments ago for Ryder.