Chapter 14

Loki's pov

"So what's the plan?" I ask while I'm trying to catch up to her.

"There's a town near here. And can you shut up? Just because I have to work with you doesn't mean I wanna hear your voice."

"All right, well... Slow down, Variant." I say, finally catching up to her.

"What part of imminent death confuses you? And don't call me 'Variant'" Lady Loki says.

"I'm sorry, but I'm not calling some fades photocopy of me 'Loki'"

"Good. Cause that's not who I am anymore. I'm Sylvie now." She says.

"You changed your name. Brilliant."

"It's called an alias." Sylvie says.

"That's not very Loki-like." I say.

"Yeah? What exactly makes a Loki a Loki?"

"Independence, authority." I look her up and down "Style." I add.

"So, naturally you went to work for the boring, oppressive time police." Sylvie says, ignoring my rude comment.

I scoffed "I don't work for them. I'm a consultant."

"You don't know what you want." She says.

"Oh yeah? What about you? Your years-in-the-making plan was to tear the place down, create the ultimate power vacuum, and then just walk away." I stop walking "I'd never have done that."

"Yeah? Well, I'm not you. Can we get on with this now?" She asks, still walking.
I sigh, running after her.

We get to the village, almost everything looks torn apart.

"It looks like everyone already fled." I sigh.

"If they did, it was in vain." Sylive said.

"How long do we have?"

"Twelve hours or so. Things down here are only gonna get worse. Meteors, gravity quakes, and of course, the collapse of society in the face of annihilation." She says as we walk up to a house-type of thing.

"Could that charge the TemPad?" I ask.

"Maybe!" She says, walking to go inside.

"I'm just checking the coupling. Making sure it can connect." She says.

"Right..."

A couple seconds go by. "Okay, hand it over." She says to which made me laugh. "Pitiful. I'm not giving it to you. You're gonna have to try harder than that."

She thinks she's so smart. I scoffed.

"Then don't give me your 'tech savvy' ideas either. The TemPad requires a massive power source, not a night light." She rolls her eyes, walking away from the house, as I follow right behind her.

We get to another house, this one is stranded, and nothing else is around, just the purple sky, and purple sand that's all around this place.

I give her some advise before she knocks on the door "Brute force is no substitute for diplomacy and guile."

"Noted." She nodded her head before kicking the door open, before she was swung back by something that hit her, she went flying in the air, and fell on the sand, ignoring the advise I gave her, she should have taken.