Chapter 28: Let's Go Home

TITUS:

The warriors were ready and waiting by the border when I arrived. They had already shifted into their wolves, waiting for their command. Ven and Bella remained in human form at the front of them all, watching in silence as I approached. I made my way through the mass of wolves, each one bowing their head as I approached. I hadn't bothered with a shirt. Instead I tucked it into a small pack I would carry with me along with some pants for when I needed to face Phil. 

"Alpha," Titus and Bella greeted in unison when I reached the front of the pack. Both of them bowed their heads. 

Speak to them; tell them what we are fighting for, Ven linked me.

I turned to the crowd and spoke calmly to them all. "Thank you all for coming with me today. As you may or may not know, I found my mate just a short while ago and before we could officially introduce her to you, she was taken by another Alpha. Liana is kind and strong; she will care for all of you as Luna Alyx always has. She will love and protect your children, as I will, until her dying day. Today we set out to return your Luna to her rightful place in our pack!" The wolves howled and I found a sense of pride. They would accept her as their rightful Luna. 

I stripped off the pants I had and tucked them into my pack before letting Telum take over and my wolf to appear before them. Ven tied my pack to my back before he and Bella followed suit and shifted beside me. Everyone already knows the plan. 

Forward, I command. Without any hesitation my warriors move forward with me at the head of the group. 

Before we reached the Redsky borders we split into three smaller groups with Ven, Bella, and I each leading one. While the others approached from the opposite sides, my team and I took the guards at the Alpha house head on. 

There were ten average wolfs lagging around the entrance and maybe ten more running an ineffective patrol around the clearing. They didn't look like warriors but I wouldn't take chances with Liana and my packmates on the line. 

Positions? I asked through the link. 

Ready when you are, Bella replied. I could see his yellow eyes just across the clearing blocking Phil's way back to his home territory. 

Let's get her back Titus, Ven said from his far position which would prevent them from doubling back for us if they escaped the initial attack. 

Philious is mine. I growled out to the entire group before I moved into the clearing. The first wolf saw me and stood to attention. He didn't recognize and started to approach before the wind swept my scent to him. He stopped dead in his tracks and barred his teeth. Stupid pup. 

I waited for them to make a move, they all drew toward me hoping to take me out with pure pack mentality. Before the first one could pounce, Bella broke out from the other side. He reached the back of their line with his handful of warriors. One tried to overpower him, an unwise decision, Bella wrapped his jaw around the others neck and snapped it. The Blacknight warriors met each of mine trying to gain the upper hand. 

The leader, or what appeared to be the leader, of the lazy guard pounced on my back, digging his claws in. I growled bucking him off and pinning him to the ground. I dug my claws into him and ripped his throat from his neck. The next one came from behind me trying to grab hold of my ankle but I kicked out scratching his eyes and met him head on. I recognized the larger wolf as the Gamma, Petron. I had wanted to take him back and have him stand trial but I couldn't contain Telum as her scent mixed with blood rolled off of him.

His stunted sight let me lay my claws along his throat. I hit the artery and there was a spurt of blood. His eyes widened as I ran my claw the rest of the way down his abdomen. I picked up his already limp body and tossed him into the middle of the fight before me. Some of his warriors saw and in their momentary distraction were eliminated. 

Reinforcements coming your way, Ven linked. 

I turned and faced a handful of wolves that had skirted past his defenses. I was tired of games and tired of waiting to get her back. Without thought, I attacked ripping each one to pieces. My muzzle was covered in blood, my fur was matted to my skin with sweat and blood coming from all directions. 

We're all clear, Bella stated confidently as I turned around. My warriors remained in their numbers, some with injuries; thankfully none seemed life-threatening. 

Ven? 

All but one clear. I'm coming through. 

All but one? I asked back but there was no response. 

After a moment, Ven appeared in his human form, dressed in bloody jeans, with a large grey wolf beside him. Mathias touched his nose to the ground, one knee bent toward me. 

I shifted and slid my own pants on. "An act of submission won't save you now cousin." I turned to Ven, "take him to the dungeons." Ven nodded toward Mathias who happily submitted to a warrior and was lead off toward our territory. 

He tried to help her. Ven tried to argue.

I don't care. We'll talk about it later. 

I turned to Bella who simply nodded toward the door of the Alpha house where Lux and my mother were waiting with two warriors. Bella shifted and joined Ven and I as we approached. I could smell her scent even from the door. 

"She's here," I wanted to cry. My mate was alive and she was here. I was about to get her back. 

"Let's go," Bella placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. I kicked the door down and howled into the darkness hoping that any threat would make itself known immediately. Nothing came and so, with me in the lead, we all headed down the stairs. At the bottom there was a long hallway. To the left their were silver cages, empty but for the one at the end with the torch lit outside of it. I ran toward it and saw her. My heart skipped a beat and Telum growled from within me. 

Phil had her pinned to the wall. I would have run at him but he was holding her by the throat and could just as easily snap it as let her go. 

"Let her go," I breathed out in my Alpha tone. He would be able to resist but everyone went completely silent. "Let her go, now." 

"How?" Philious looked surprised and it brought me some pleasure to watch the fear build behind his eyes. 

"Let her go now. I won't ask again." My eyes flicked toward Liana and noticed her extended claws. Amara was with her. Before Phil could make a move she shot off the wall scratching across his face blinding him. She pinned him to the ground and I motioned for Bella and Timon to take him. Telum was having trouble watching her on top of him. "Take him to our cells. He will stand trial for what he's done." The two left with the others following behind them. 

I stood across from my mate as she looked down at herself. Telum whined out as he took in her extensive injuries. Most of them had scarred over or were starting to. She looked thin and tired. 

I couldn't think of anything to say. "There's a bloodbath outside," I approached her and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear marveling at the sparks that fired between us when we touched. 

Her beautiful eyes met mine, "I can handle it." 

I pulled her close against me and sniffed in her scent. It was a little diluted by the extended period of time in the cell but she still smelled like home and love. Telum settled immediately. 

"Don't do that. I stink." 

The sadness in her voice wasn't lost on me. No matter how she smelled, no matter how scarred or injured she is, I love her more than life itself. 

"You smell like peaches," I inhaled again and reveled in having her back, "always peaches." 

"I missed you," she admitted as she returned my hug. God I missed her more than I would miss air. 

I pulled her back and looked deep into her eyes. I had waited too long. I had almost missed my opportunity. "I love you," I held my breath and waited to see if this experience had changed her mind. 

"I love you too." 

I couldn't help the smile that broke out across my face. This woman would be the death of me. She smiled even after all she had suffered. I would never let it happen again.

"Let's go home."