Chapter 19: Traitor

The morning light filtered in through the windows and my eyes fluttered open to see Titus turned over, my arms wrapped around him so he was the little spoon. I got a fun idea as I very carefully untangled our legs and removed my arms from him. I snuck silently into the bathroom, washed my face, grabbed a pair of leggings and a sports bra from my bag, and slipped from the bedroom leaving behind only a note that read: "Come find me." 

I left through the back door and headed toward the woods that surrounded us on both sides. Once I was behind the tree line, I stripped out of my clothes and shifted into my wolf. I needed to be tactical and I knew that I didn't have much time. I started running zigzags through the perimeter and across the lawn hoping to confuse and overwhelm his senses. When I had finished, I let Amara take full control to get some of her energy out. Although she was mad that I was leaving my mate, she was excited at the prospect of the chase. We found a little rock formation further down the lake that matched my fur and hid there, hoping the water would hide my scent and the rocks would disguise us from view. 

I heard a howl in the distance and knew that Titus was starting his hunt. The excitement was almost uncontainable.

Think of what he'll do to us when he catches us! She excitedly squirmed in my head, throwing me images from last night. 

Shh! Arousal will only draw him closer faster! 

I want him to find us! I sighed and relaxed against the warm rocks in the sun. 

Before too long there was a crack of a nearby branch. I didn't move too quickly but I looked over my shoulder and sniffed the air. I couldn't smell Titus but I also knew that he could cover his scent if need be. 

There was another snap of a branch from the other side of me and my head shot in that direction. Was he playing with me? 

You are his prey, he's hunting you. Amara reassured me but I still felt uneasy. 

As I started to stand a grey wolf slightly larger than me appeared from behind the trees and its blue eyes evaluated me before bowing lowly. Mathias!

Mathias! What are you doing here? I asked through the mindlink. 

I'm looking for you. You know you've scared Alpha half to death!

Oh...I was just playing. 

Now isn't the time for games Liana. He sounded stern and serious. Even in his wolf form I could see his human scowling at me. Come with me, I will take you to him. 

I tucked my tail slightly between my legs and followed Mathias back between the thick trees. 

You smell like him... Mathias linked after a few minutes. 

Yeah, I know. That would be the mark. 

Mathias suddenly turned toward me grinding us to a full stop in the middle of a small clearing. 

He marked you?

Yes, it was time. 

Fuck! Mathias paced back and forth a couple of times. He was clearly stressed out and unhappy. I found this odd considering this made us family and I know that he loves Titus regardless of their standoffish relationship. 

Mathias? 

I'm sorry Liana. The mark is going to make this even harder. I tried to stop him from marking you.

What? 

There were several rustles from around us as 12 wolves in every size and shape emerged from the forest and surrounded us. I looked around in a panic. I didn't recognize any of them until the last three emerged from behind Mathias... Phil, Mardock, and Petron. 

Mathias... What have you done? 

I did what I thought was right. I'm sorry that this is going to hurt Liana. 

What?-

Phil howled and one of the wolves from behind me shot forward and landed directly on top of me, pinning me to the ground. I was frozen with confusion and panic. What the fuck is happening? I tried to look at Mathias but Phil blocked my view as another werewolf, still in his human form came toward me with a syringe in hand. I tried to wiggle out from under the wolf on top of me but another stepped forward and added to the weight pinning me down. 

Phil! I called out through the link but he didn't move. 

You could have done things the easy way Liana. You could have chosen me in the beginning but you've forced my hand. He replied coldly. 

The man with the needle reached me and I looked to Mathias who stood proudly beside Phil watching as the man inserted the needle into my neck. Before the world went black I managed to push out one final word to Mathias through the link: Traitor.