Chapter 20: Ghosting

Peter's POV

    "Hey Peter, it's Happy." Happy says on the other end of the call.

    "I know, Happy. I'm the one who called you."

    "So what's up?"

    "I was just checking to see if you have an update on Diana. The last I heard about her was that she woke up."

    "She's doing good. Almost back to normal, other than her arm is still in a sling for her shoulder. Have you talked to her recently?"

    No. Ever since my dream, I knew it was best to stay away from Diana. She only gets hurt when she's around me. "No, I haven't gotten the chance. I've been super busy lately."

    "Something kinda important happened, but Diana should be the one to tell you." Happy and I chat for a few more minutes. I'm intrigued by whatever important thing happened, but I should stick to my plans of backing off. It was too much of a risk for her to get attached, or, let's be honest, me.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Diana's POV

    It's been a few days since the plane crash, and I've been able to take my time since I no longer have to go to school. I haven't seen to Peter since that night, and he hasn't called me. I decide to take the initiative and call him. I press his contact.

    "Hello, this is Peter Parker. I'm sorry I can't come to the phone right now-"

    I hang up. Why would it immediately go to voicemail? I sent him a few messages, and he hasn't replied to any of them. I'm starting to get annoyed. Maybe he just lost his phone, or something. 

    I'm watching TV when Happy walks across the room to the elevator. Before he gets in I get his attention. "Happy! Can I talk to you for a second?"

    "Sure, what's up?" He says while turning around to face me.

    "How's Peter? I haven't seen him since Friday and he's not picking up my calls or replying to my texts."

    Happy looks at me, confusion written on his face. "That's odd, I was talking to him on Saturday and he said he would call you." Then why didn't he? "I'm going to go pick him up right now, Tony wanted to go over something with him."

    "Okay. Thanks. I'll try talking to him then." Happy nods and smiles, then gets into the elevator. Once the doors close, I looked back to my show. Peter is completely ignoring me, despite my efforts and what he said to happy. Is he avoiding me? What is happening?

    About 20 minutes later, the elevator dings and Happy walks back up. I look at him expectantly. "He's on the 3rd floor." I jump up and get into the elevator before they close from when Happy exited them. I hit the 3rd floor button. What am I expecting from him? An apology? Explanation? The elevator is fast, so I barely have any time to think about it. The doors open, revealing Natasha, Vision, Tony, and Peter. It's clear they haven't started the meeting yet, the doors to the conference room are open and they're still missing a few people. 

    I lock eyes with Peter, and I see fear in his eyes. What is he so afraid of? I walk up to the conference room and no one pays much attention to me, other than Peter. For someone who's ghosting me, he sure seems unable to take his eyes off. "Peter, I need to talk to you." He stays still. "Alone." He glances around the room before following me out of the conference room and around the corner. "Alright, start explaining."

    "Uh, explain what?" His tone clearly indicating he knows.

    "You know exactly what. Why aren't you replying to my calls and texts? And Happy told me you said you were going to call me. We haven't talked in forever."