Chapter 1: Introduction

"Hey, watch it, lady!" An angry pedestrian yells at me. At least he called me a lady.

"Sorry!" I yell back after swerving my bike out of the way. My mom, Andrea, asked me to run to the grocery store to pick up some ingredients for a family dinner we're having tonight. I don't have a car yet since I'm saving up for college to make sure I can get in. I call her my mom, but I'm actually adopted. I don't know the full story, but essentially my birth mother left before anyone even knew who she was. It doesn't matter though, life is good with my adoptive family. It's just me, my mom, and my dad. Diana, Andrea, and Jacob. I don't have much of my own life outside of them, but that's okay.

I arrive at the grocery store, and while I tie my bike to a rail, I notice two or three guys hanging around a van. They're acting strange, but not outwardly. It's more like they're guilty of something and they're trying to hide it. I decide to ignore it, it's probably just my paranoid mind that's talking.

After about 10 minutes of shopping, I forget about them and focus on finding everything my mom needs. Eggs, milk, flour, coconut milk, cucumbers...

Bang! I hear something hit, hard. But I'm so far in the back of the store, I have to move around to see what's happening. I see the only security guard in the store completely unconscious. "Listen up people!" Uh oh.

I hide my body behind a rack of magazines, just barely peeking my head over the side to see what's happening. It's the guys from earlier, I tell myself. But now, they're wearing masks. I might be the only person here who's seen their faces.

"We aren't planning to take any of your boring lives, but will do so if you step out of line and try to be a hero." I'm not sure why, but his words make me think of Spider-Man. Too bad he isn't real. Or at least real enough to help out here. The masked man speaks up again, forcing me out of my thoughts. "All of you! Lie face-down on the floor and put your hands behind your backs while my friends take your bags and wallets."

My heart starts racing in fear of my life. But of course, being the idiot I am, I run as quietly as possible to find any back exits to escape. They already had someone blocking the emergency exit which is also the only exit. Once I see him, I take a step back before he's able to see me. I walk right into stack of cans that were behind me. Just my luck. The cans come tumbling down alerting everyone of my presence. The man that was by the door is now in front of me. Pointing his gun right at my head.

My legs and arms start shaking and my eyes become hot with tears. My heart rate skyrockets, and my breathing gets rough. I can't believe I'm going to die here.

"Put your hands up, and get on your knees." He says. When my frozen body hesitates to move, he kicks me in the shins. "Now!"

I drop my knees to the floor with my hands in the air, and I close my eyes. I can feel him taking my bag. "Wait, have I seen you before?" No, no. Please don't recognize me. I don't answer and keep my eyes closed. He talks lower, as if into a phone or walkie-talkie. "Guys, I found this girl that saw our faces earlier. What do you want me to do to her?" I shudder at his choice of words.

"She's a liability. I think you know what that means." A muffled voice replies. I think I know what that means, too.

My entire body trembles, terrified of what's about to happen. My family won't even know until there's a police report. That must be one of the worst ways to learn about something like this.

I feel an intense pain, but certainly not from a bullet. It's like a powerful drug in my blood. I get an intense headache, like one I've never had before. I put my hands on my head and groan. I can hear the man saying something, but it sounds like it's far away and at the same time right nest to my ear. I can see flashing lights from behind my eyelids. Then, nothing. No pain, no sounds, no lights. I crumble to the floor unconscious.

AN: And that's the first chapter! Please comment and vote!