Chapter 3: Strange

I try to slip out of the room before any of them notice me, but I fail miserably.

    All three of them look towards me, Natasha ghosting her hand above the gun in her holster. This is like my dream and my nightmare at the same time. "Do you need something, mam?" Bruce asks.

    "Oh, no. No, I... I'm sorry." I try to leave after embarrassing myself.

    "Wait." Natasha says, and I consider pretending I didn't hear her until I remember how dangerous all of these people are. I open the door slightly after almost closing it. "Come here."

    I slowly walk over to them, not entirely sure what to think of this. Yesterday they were simply fictional characters, but here they are standing in front of me. "What's your name?"

    "Diana."

    "Why are you here, Diana?"

    "I don't know." I half-lie. I came in here out of curiosity, but I'm not sure if that counts as a reason.

    Tony speaks up. "Sure you do. Tell us. Now. Or we'll have to assume you're part of a group that's planning something." I can't feel my face. I'm not sure if that's because I was just threatened by Iron Man, or because I'm talking to Tony. Freaking. Stark. My breath starts to quicken as I try to think of an excuse for being here. I hear the door click open.

    "Diana?" Peter's voice asks. I turn around, thankful that he came right before I got myself killed.

    "You know this kid?" Tony says.

    "Yeah, she... um..." Peter Pauses as he looks at three of the Avengers. One thing for sure, he's terrible at excuses. Which is surprising.

    "We go to school together, and I came to give something to him for a school project. I would have left it at his house with his Aunt May, but she she's going out tonight." I say in a convincing tone. Tony, Natasha, and Bruce visibly relax as if they thought that I was a real threat. To be fair, I was acting a bit strange. You would too if you woke up in your dream world. Peter gives me a look of appreciation.

    He gestures to the door. "Can we talk in private for a second?" I nod and walk out the door with him back into the main room and sit with him on some barstools next to a kitchen counter. "So, what are you doing here?"

    "I still wasn't convinced that I was really in this universe, so when I saw Stark Tower I knew I had to take a look around. Thank you for coming when you did, I don't even want to think about what would have happened if you didn't. I was accidentally acting suspicious." I don't even know if that last sentence made any sense, but oh well. I place my hand on the edge of his knee without even realizing it until he put his hand on mine.

    "I'm glad I did, then." He smiles and blushes, which makes me blush. After a few seconds of silence I pull my hand back. "I think we should tell them. I mean, it's your choice, but if anyone can help us out it would be them."

    I nod. "Should we go talk to them now?"

    "Yeah." We both stand up and walk back into the room where the superheroes are talking once again.

    "Hey guys." Peter says a little shaky. I bet he rarely talks to any of the Avengers besides Tony, so he's got to be nervous. "So, this is Diana. She's not actually a classmate, we just needed to talk before we told you what we're about to." He looks at me, signaling to take over.

    I take in a deep breath. "I'm not from this world."

    "Are you saying you're an alien of some sort?" Bruce asks. I probably should have explained more than that.

    "No, I mean that I'm from a different Earth. This morning I woke up in a room If never seen before, and Peter found me. I think that I'm from a different part of the multiverse. That I somehow changed timelines." If this wasn't happening to me, I would think it was a crazy person saying these things.

    "You're saying that you're from a different universe?" Natasha says.

    "Basically, yeah."

    They stay quiet for a minute, then they all softly laugh. "Good one, kid." Tony says to Peter. "If you had picked a better actress we might have believed you." Peter sighs.

    "She's serious, guys. You have no idea how hard it was to convince her that she's actually in this world. She only believed it when she saw this building."

    "I get it, I would have thought this was a joke too." I tell Peter.

    "You know what, this isn't entirely impossible. I met a guy once who talked about this kind of stuff." Tony says.

    Natasha gives me a look that makes me feel important, but under pressure. "Do you have some type of proof that you aren't lying?"

    I think for a moment, trying to figure out a way to convince them. I can use my knowledge of the MCU! "Tony, you still get nightmares every night because of the attack of the Chitauri in 2012. Natasha, you have a sister that isn't really your sister named Yelana Belova and her favorite song is American Pie."

    The two stare at me in shock. "Wait, what about me?" Bruce asks.

    "Sorry, I never saw your movie." I apologize. I wish I did, but I could never find where to watch it.

    "What do you mean?" Natasha says.

    Peter answers for me. "In her universe, everything with Avengers and aliens and robots were all in movies they made. The actors even look like us." Everyone nods as if this is something they hear every day.

    "I was hoping you guys could help me figure out how to get back to my own world."

    They all stay quiet for what feels like forever.
"Sorry kid, none of us know that much about this kind of stuff." In other words, I may never go back home.

    "Actually kid, I do." Tony says, and we all look at him in surprise. I mean, I know he's a genius, but not in things like this. He notices our expressions. "Not me, I know someone who does. His name is Steven Strange. Heard of him?" He asks me, knowing the others probably haven't.

    "Yeah, I have." I leave it at that.

    "I'll take you two to him. Hopefully he's in New York right now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Peter, Tony, and I walk into the New York Sanction. We are immediately greeting by Wong, who has those magic circle things in front of his fists.

    "Why did you bring these people here?" Wong asks Tony, staying in his defensive position.

    "We need to talk to Strange. He's the only one who we know that can help this girl."

    Wong looks at me for the first time, and as if he is peering into my soul. "Alright. Come with me." We follow him into a back room where we see Strange sitting... in the air. We don't even need to announce ourselves before he stops and faces us.