Chapter 7: Lazy Days

"Peter! You stabbed me!"

    "Sorry! You're character looks just like noobmaster69." Peter and I have spent a lot of time together the last few days. I help Peter study so he doesn't get behind in his classes, and we also train together. Even though I'm not an Avenger or anything, I'm just glad to be spending time with Peter. Right now, we're just playing video games.

    A deep sound affect plays, indicating we lost. I look at Peter with side eye. "Come on, don't look at me like that. I'm getting better!"

    I laugh. "You are, a few hours ago you couldn't figure out how to turn around." I make fun of him.

    "At least I'm still physically stronger than you." He taunts.

    "Don't be so sure about that, I've got big muscles because of all the training we've done." I flex my noodle arms, and you can barely tell that I'm flexing.

    "Oh really?" He lurches forward on the couch and starts tickling me. I scream and squirm, and unintentionally giggle. I slide down on the couch trying to get away, and he leans over me.

    I hear heavy feet. "Is everything okay? I heard a scream? Diana!" Tony yells as he runs down the hallway, then once he sees me and Peter he rolls his eyes. I tend to see that a lot lately. Peter sits back, and I sit up. Tony sighs. "I don't even know why I bother anymore. But while I'm here, can you guys make dinner tonight? Wanda isn't here, and Vision is with her."

    Peter and I agree, and Tony leaves. "I wasn't ready!" I tell Peter, picking up where we left off.

    "That's the point." He smiles, and we leave to the kitchen to make dinner. "Do you know how to make dinner? Most days Aunt May and I order in."

    "Umm, I can make breakfast?"

    "Breakfast for dinner?" Peter suggests, and we get to work making eggs, bacon, pancakes, toast, and anything else we can find that seems breakfast related. 

    "We need some music." I connect my phone to a speaker and play Back in Black by AC/DC.

     "Oh, I love Led Zeppelin!" Peter shouts over the loud music, and I internally cringe. I turn the music down slightly, and we start dinner. Peter makes the eggs while I whisk the pancake batter. I see him staring at me from the corner of my eye, but I don't look up. His eyes linger for what feels like forever.

    "Like what you see?" I quip, then finally look up at him as he averts his eyes.

    "What? I, uh, I don't know what you're talking about." He rubs the back of his neck. I laugh at his nervousness. "So, how do you like it here? In our world?"

    "Honestly? It's surreal. I've loved watching this world of heroes and villains unfold, I never thought that I could be here. That the stories I've watched on a screen wasn't science-fiction, but science." I pour the pancake batter in small amounts in the pan on the stove. My shoulder brushes against Peter. "And it was so weird but awesome to meet MJ, she's the coolest person ever in my universe. Not that she isn't here." I ramble.

    "I forgot that we are different people in your world. Am... Am I anyone? Someone... cool?" He hesitantly asks.

    "Only if you consider being an A-list actor that millions of girls fawn over, 'cool.'" I smirk at him. 

    His eyes widen with disbelief. "Really?" I nod. "Wow, that's, uh, wow." He seems to blank out for a minute, but snaps back to reality when his hand hits the side of the pan and burns his finger. "Ahh!" He squeezes his finger.

    I grab his wrist and pull him over to the sink, The contact making me smile, and run cold water over the burn. He groans in pain. "I thought you had super strength?"

    "Still hurts." He says. I let go of his wrist and go to get the first-aid kit out. He dries his hand and I rub ointment on his finger as softly as possible so I don't agitate the burn. "Thank you."

    I look up to meet his eyes, and we stare at each other until I break the silence. "You're welcome." It was a perfect moment, but like all, it ended too soon. Both of us smelled something, bad. Realization hit me. "The food!" We run back over to the stove only to see that both the eggs and pancakes had burned. Just then, the toast popped up completely black. "How about we order in?"

    "Now that, we can do." Peter says while grabbing his phone to call a restaurant. After about an hour the food arrives and we dish it up for everyone. "Friday, can you let everyone know that dinner is ready?" He calls out to the AI program that is everywhere in Stark Tower.

   "Of course, Peter." She replies. Within a few minutes, everyone is downstairs getting their food. Which is really only Steve, Nat, Bucky, and Tony right now. 

    Nat slurps up some pasta while still standing in the kitchen with everyone. "Wow, this is really good. What did you guys put in this?" 

    Peter and I look at each other, unsure what to say. "Uh, it's a secret?" Peter says. Nat nods understandingly, and everyone starts to leave. "Wait, where are you guys going?" Peter asks with a disappointed tone.

    "Sorry kid, we all just have a lot of work to do." Tony says apologetically. 

    "It's alright Mr. Stark, I understand."

    Everyone leaves, and Peter and I are left standing in silence. "So..." I begin. "Want to watch a movie or something?"

    Peter smiles, though when isn't he? "Sure!" We plop down on the couch with our dinner in hand and decide to watch all the Star Wars movies in order. It will take a few days, but not nearly as long as my Marvel marathons would take. We finish our food after only a few minutes. Peter takes them into the kitchen, and when he comes back he sits closer to me than before. Much closer. So close that my body tilts in his direction, because of the cushion sinking under him, and   leans on him. But I'm comfortable here, and he seems comfortable, so neither of us move. We stay like that for the rest of the first movie, and I start to drift off to sleep during the second one. My tired body goes limp, and the last thing I feel before I go unconscious is his arm slowly come to rest on my shoulders. 

<><><><><><><><><><><>

    I wake up to my warm bed, and look over at the clock to realize that is already after 10 in the morning. I go over everything that happened last night in my head. I smile, thinking about how I fell asleep in Peter's arms, how I felt safe and happy. Just thinking about it made me feel happy, until it turned into guilt. What am I doing? The only reason I'm spending so much time with Peter is to stay safe until I can go home. I can't get too close with anyone here, and developing feelings is even worse. It feels wrong when I have family and friends back in my own world that think I've gone missing.

    I hear a knock on the door. "Come in!"

    Peter peaks his hear around the door and talks quietly. "Good morning. I just wanted to check if you were up."

    I sit up in my bed a bit more while he opens the door wider. "Yep! I'm completely... awake." I yawn between the two words.

    "Yeah, sure you are." He laughs at me, with a wide smile and his eyes crinkling at the corners.

    "I have an idea. I vote that today is a pajama day."

    "Give me a minute to change." He says, and closes the door. As much as I hate it, I can't ignore the fuzzy feeling in my stomach every time he looks at me like that.