Chapter Twenty-Nine

Sofia

My hands were shaking in my lap, and I couldn't stop crying. Matteo was driving as fast as he could to the hospital and even though he was with me, I felt afraid. Mary had called me and told me that my father had a heart attack.

Matteo wasn't even home, but when I called him, he came running. I've been trying to call Sean so that he could meet us there, but his phone was going straight to voicemail.

My heart was aching, and my imagination wouldn't shut up and leave me alone. I was terrified.

I needed to see my dad. I needed to see that he was okay. He couldn't die, he just couldn't. I needed him in my life. I was a daddy's girl through and through and I love my dad more than anything else in this world.

He's my best friend, my confidant, and the best father and mother there ever was. He always had my back and stood strong beside me.

A choked cry came out of me, and Matteo reached his hand over to squeeze my own.

I knew he wanted to comfort me, but I was so wound up and anxious that it wasn't doing anything. I wiped at my tears with my other hand and was thankful once we arrived at the hospital.

We parked the car and Matteo held my hand tightly as we walked inside.

"William Rossi. He had a heart attack." I barely managed to say, and the nurse in front of me began clicking away on the computer. "His doctor is Dr. Roberts."

"Dr. Roberts is performing an emergency surgery."

"When will he finish?"

"In a few hours, but we have other cardiologists. Dr. Erickson." She waved her hand over and another doctor approached us with a clipboard in his hand.

"This is Sofia Rossi; her father was the one that's had a heart attack after his bypass surgery." She explained.

"I know you're a cardiologist too, and I don't want to seem rude, but Dr. Roberts is more familiar with my dad's case and heart problems."

He gave me a small smile and placed his clipboard down by the nurse. "I read over his case, and I spoke with Dr. Erickson before putting him in my care."

"We have stabilized him and he's now resting inside, but we might have to do another bypass surgery."

"Stress, anger, and even depression could have been a trigger for this heart attack. With situations like this, it's hard to pinpoint if he needs another surgery."

"I'm sorry, another surgery?" I was shaking as I tried to keep calm, "The doctors assured me that he wouldn't need another one so early after his last one."

"He stopped smoking and drinking. He exercises. He takes his medication. Why would he experience another heart attack?"

"It hasn't even been a year since his surgery, how come now? Surely, you can't perform another heart surgery. He's barely still healing from the last one."

"Your father's heart is already fragile from the first two heart attacks he experienced, and sometimes three surgeries are necessary."

"The complications might not have been during the surgery, but maybe along the way they arose. The overwhelming and stressing factors might have played a hand. They should have explained this to you before his first surgery."

"They did, but it was so long ago that I stopped thinking about it. I know they do a second surgery to check everything out years after the first one, but it hasn't even been a year yet. Something like this must have more risk factors and complications."