Chapter Seventeen

Matteo

After the wedding and everyone had left, Mia and Sebastian stayed back for a few minutes so that I could introduce Sofia to them. They spoke briefly before their car arrived to pick them up.

Sebastian had his own plane so there wasn't a rush, but they wanted to get to the hotel in Hawaii in time for their reservation.

Mia kept wiggling her brows up at me teasing me and Sofia was all smiles and charm as they gawked over her wedding dress.

My mother was quiet, every now and then wiping tears from her eyes as she realized her little girl was finally married.

Sebastian kept reassuring her that she would be safe and happy and that no harm would ever touch her.

"We really do need to catch up once I'm back from Hawaii," Mia said once their car arrived.

"Yes, that sounds great. I'd love that." Sofia smiled.

"Matteo will give you my number." She kissed my mother's cheeks and then mine before giving Sofia a hug. "Bye!" She waved as Sebastian helped her into the car.

"Take care of her or I'll kill you."

"Hey! No threatening my husband," Mia yelled from inside the car. "I just got married."

"Don't worry." Sebastian countered as he slipped into the car with her.

"Nipote. Signora D'Angelo."

The three of us turned around to see my stupid uncle, Luca, approaching us. I had prayed that I wouldn't see him today, but unfortunately, I didn't pray hard enough because there he fucking was.

He stood in a suit with his belly barely contained in it, and the top of his shirt unbuttoned casing his thick and burly chest hair.

He wore more jewelry than any woman I've ever met, and I was more than tempted to choke him with the gold chain hanging around his neck.

"Luca," I said, hoping my distaste for him didn't show in my tone.

"Luca," My mother said, "È molto tempo che nonci si vede." (Long time no see)

Not long enough.

"I've been busy, cognata." He shrugged his shoulders. "Doing work that your son is supposed to be doing." (Sister-in-law)

"Luca, the only work you're doing is work you're supposed to be fucking doing." I bit and I felt Sofia squeeze my hand like she was trying to calm me down. Oddly it worked. 

Luca caught me looking at her and his greedy eyes immediately followed. "Bella piccola cosa."

(Pretty little thing)

"Look at her again and I'll have your fucking eyes." I threatened.

"Let's not be rude. Today is a joyous day." I heard my mother say in her polite voice.

"Is there anything you need, Luca?"

He shrugged his shoulders carelessly. "Nothing. Just wanted to talk business."

"Tomorrow. Stop by my office and we can talk." I told him.

"Ah, you must be busy now that you're dancing around with a new woman." He enunciated the word dancing which made me realize that he knew who Sofia was.

The thought that he knew who she was meant that she knew she danced at one of my clubs. My hand tightened around Sofia's as I thought about if he's ever seen her dance, or if he's ever seen her naked.