Chapter 8

A few days later I was walking around the apartment with Noah as he was screaming and crying his head off. Lexi had left the day before and I hadn't talked to Steve since our talk at the pizza shop, he was in Washington with Tony about something. I heard a knock on my door and I groaned.

"It's open." I said and I looked to see Steve walk in.

"Not safe, ya know." Steve said with a smile and I groaned. He then saw how stressed I was and rushed over to take Noah from me and he instantly calmed down with Steve.

"Oh god, I can't even get my own kid to calm down. Captain America walks in and he is fine." I said. Steve saw I was stressed and moved Noah in his arms and then hugged me as I sighed in his embrace instantly relaxing.

"Thank you." I said as we broke apart and he shrugged.

"How was DC?" I asked and he sighed.

"Well just a lot of paperwork and appearances. I just wanted to get back here to you guys." Steve said as we sat on the couch and I looked at him.

"You did?" I asked and Steve nodded.

"I did, think it's pretty obvious Willa that I have become accustomed to be around you and Noah." Steve said and I smiled at him.

"We have become accustomed of having you around too." I said and he smiled. I placed my head on his shoulder and he smiled.

"Tired?" Steve asked and I nodded.

"This one has kept me up all night. He doesn't want to sleep at night anymore." I said sleepily.

"Willa, are you falling asleep on me?" Steve asked and then he heard my steady breathing and smiled. He looked at Noah.

"You are wearing your mama out little dude." Steve said and turned the tv on quietly while holding Noah.

💛 💛 💛 💛 💛

I woke up a few hours later, laying on the couch covered up with a blanket and I saw Noah laying on the floor on a blanket playing with some toys. I sat up and saw Steve in my kitchen.

"Hey." I said and he turned to look at me and smiled.

"Hey, I was hoping you would get up soon." Steve said and I got up and walked into my kitchen and smiled at the smell.

"Stir fry?" I asked and Steve nodded.

"Your mom called and offered to bring a pizza but I told her I was planning on cooking for you." Steve said and I smiled.

"You talked to my mother?" I asked and he laughed.

"I did, she seemed happy I was here." Steve said and I smiled.

"Like we all are." I said and he nodded. He sighed and looked at me as the food was finished so he started plating it up.

"Willa....there is more reason I am coming here than I just want to check on you and Noah." Steve said and I nodded.

"Right..." I said sensing more. He took my hand and I smiled.

"I like you and I mean more than just a friend who has been around. I mean really like you and I would love to take you out on an actual date. So what do you say? You want to go out to dinner with me on Friday?" Steve asked and I smiled broadly with a nod.

"I would love to. I will see if mom can watch Noah...although Friday night at the shop..." I trailed off.

"Someone offered to watch him if need be...." Steve said and I looked at him.

"Who?" I asked.

"Tony." Steve said and I laughed.

"Tony, Tony offered?" I asked.

"Yeah he had a daughter, Morgan and his wife Pepper will be there too. I think Pepper is having baby fever and this is his answer." Steve said and I laughed.

"Well if they wouldn't mind...." I said and Steve shook his head.

"No at all." Steve said and I smiled with a nod.

"Sounds great. Friday will pick you both up around 6 and we will take Noah to Tony and Pepper at the compound." Steve said and I nodded. I grabbed Steve and I drinks as he took the plates in to the coffee table so we could eat. We sat watching TV while we ate dinner and watching Noah discover his feet. Steve left after he helped put Noah to bed and I just laid in bed staring at the ceiling. I hated some nights of being alone. After Steve being here all day the apartment then felt empty. I was grabbing my phone to call Lexi when I got a Facetime call from Steve.

"Hey." I said smiling when I answered. He was laying in his bed.

"Can't sleep?" Steve asked and I shook my head.

"Me either." Steve said and I sighed.

"Steve, can I tell you something?" I asked and he nodded.

"Of course sweetie." Steve said.

"After you are here with me and Noah all day and then you leave my place feel so empty. I don't know if it's just I miss having someone here for the nights or not but that's how I feel." I said and then I sighed.

"And I probably just scared you away." I said and Steve huffed a laugh.

"Willa, it's okay I feel the same way. When I get back from your house after spending all day with you and I smell like your perfume and Noah's baby lotion or something it's hard not to come back just to stay with you." Steve said and I smiled.

"What's going on here Steve, we are so hooked on each other so fast." I said and Steve groaned.

"I don't know Willa, I have never really felt this way about anyone." Steve said and I smiled.

"Stay on the phone with me until I fall asleep?" I asked and Steve nodded. I propped the phone up on my nightstand and he smiled at me as I got comfortable.

"Noah sleeping soundly?" Steve asked and I showed him the baby monitor screen.

"I think he just missed you and now your back." I said and Steve smiled.

"He is a pretty amazing kid." Steve said and I nodded.

"Well he is part mine so..." I trailed off with a smile.

"So it makes sense." Steve said and I nodded. I then sighed as I looked past my phone and I saw a picture I still had up of me and Ari from right before he left and I sighed.

"Steve..." I said and he saw my face.

"Yeah?" He asked fearing the worst.

"I'm sorry it took so long for me to come around after Ari." I said and Steve shook his head.

"Hey, don't do that. You and Ari did seemed like the perfect but you just realized his life wasn't for you." Steve said and I nodded.

"I did, I feel like a jerk sending him the letter with the ring but I did what I thought I had to do." I said and Steve nodded.

"He should have seen what important, like I do." Steve said and I smiled at him and then yawned closing my eyes.

"Get some sleep sweetie." Steve said and I nodded as my eyes closed and I quickly drifted to sleep.