Chapter 24-Now Let's Play.

Nisa's POV

"You remembered to lock the door, Nee? Oh! You took your prenatal vitamins today, right?"

"Yes, Samuel," I huffed, rolling my eyes and sorting through a few blouses in my closet. Sam refuses to get off the phone.

I don't know if he senses something amiss, but he's been clingy the last few days. It took extreme effort to convince Sam to attend the executive conference in Atlanta this weekend.

With Wiseman's retirement coming up, Sam's workload has tripled, but he still finds time to cater to my needs. I've seen him asleep at his desk a few times, long after our bath.

"Don't Samuel me, Nee. It's not too late to send a car and meet me at the airport. I can shoot a text to my assistant now."

I carefully place another pair of jeans in my suitcase.

"Sam, it's too late. Aren't you boarding soon?" I added a few miscellaneous items to my bag.

"Yes, but you know me. I'll book another flight in a heartbeat."

I chuckled. He's right.

This is my only chance of a clean break from him. So I established false trust and asked Sam to attend a baby check-up with me. He was ecstatic, to say the least, and teared up when he heard my child's heartbeat. My heart broke into a million tiny pieces knowing what I was about to do to him. I don't want to do it. But regardless, Sam deserves better, and I need to reclaim my life.

Before meeting Sam and Will, I was confident, independent, and accessible. My family's name wasn't a big deal. I lived by my rules. I learned from Mallory that status and prestige don't always lead to a fulfilling life in the grand scheme of things. But I somehow lost that mindset along the way. Now, pregnant, going through a divorce, and nearly escaping death with PTSD.

Dr. Thorn already forwarded me her references for OBGYNs in Colver. Mallory is there waiting for me so that nothing will stop me now.

Sam grunts. "You okay? You got all quiet on me. What are you doing?"

"Um, nothing much. I'm just cleaning up a bit."

"It's funny you think I can't tell when you're lying. Tell me, Nee."

"I just told you." I insisted, folding a throw blanket on the bed to ease my guilt.

"Hmm, okay. I ordered dinner, so you don't have to cook. The concierge will bring it up in about an hour."

"Sam, I told you I can take care of myself. It's one weekend." I reminded him as I walked toward the living room, where the rest of my belongings sat in a small pile near the couch. I started packing as soon as Sam left.

"I'm well aware, but you're eating for two, and as the child's father and your future husband, it's my duty to make sure my girls are well taken care of."

I cringed." Ha, um, well, I guess I can't argue with that." I checked the time. Gia agreed to meet me twenty minutes ago with the rental car. But with everything going on with her family and Bear right now, I wouldn't blame her if she forgot about my little escape plan. I hope everything is okay.

Last I heard, Gia's family in Wicked Ticket, TX ran into trouble. Gia didn't want to go into the specifics of the ordeal, but she and Bear got into a huge fight about it. Gia has always been secretive about her family, and I never pressed the issue to find out. But I need to check on her if she doesn't call me in the next 5 minutes.

"Nee, baby, you listening?"

I returned to the present. "I'm sorry, you said something?"

Sam huffs, "I told you I'm about to board the plane. But you're making me worried. Are you sure you're going to be okay?"