Chapter 4- Happy Anniversary Pt 1.

Nisa's POV

After an eventful lunch, the rest of the day was oddly... regular.

Sam and I walked in awkward silence back to the office, and with a curt nod, we parted ways. I delivered the extra order of mozzarella sticks to an ever-gracious Ashley and resumed attending scheduled meetings and projects for the second half of my workday. That glorious time of the day pretty soon snuck up on me—closing time. I logged off my desktop and gathered my things while making my way toward the foyer where the elevators are.

There, I saw Ashley waiting for me near the elevators.

Uh Oh.

I slowed my steps, mentally bracing myself. If Ashley is waiting for me after hours, she has some super juicy office gossip that can't wait until tomorrow morning. I sigh deeply before making eye contact with her quirky doe-like brown gaze. We stand there for a few awkward minutes while she stares at me with a sly smirk on her face." Out with it, Ash! I have to meet Willy." I scolded her, glancing at the watch on my wrist.

"Oh, we mustn't leave Willy waitin'," Ashley teased, batting her eyelashes dramatically. We link arms and catch an empty waiting elevator. She selects the button for the parking garage.

"Well, well, well," she announced before dramatically turning her body toward me. Her neck and head followed, causing her long bright, red hair to spin, smacking me in the face.

"Watch where you swing your head!." I yelled, swatting away her strands. The elevator descends.

"Ha, that's what she said," Ashley chortled while smoothing her hair. "Sorry," she mumbled.

"Girl, bye, you're fine." I giggled, glancing up at the small screen, noting which floor we were on—There were twenty stories left before we reached our destination.

Plenty of time for her to spill the tea.

"Okay..." Ashley starts, "So there's talk going around the office of who's going to capture Mr. Braxton's attention first."

I roll my eyes at the reveal." That's not juicy gossip," I pouted. "They say that any time someone good-looking joins the team."

"Yes, buuut, word on the curb is that Mr. Braxton has already found someone who has piqued his interest. A certain married someone." Ashley wickedly smirked while wiggling her eyebrows. "He wants a young lady celebrating her 5th wedding anniversary today." she finished nudging me with her elbow.

She's talking about me.

"How is that a rumor? I just met the guy today." I grumbled, looking up to see how many floors we had left. This conversation is making me uncomfortable. I worked too hard to maintain my professional image, especially in the workplace.

Ten more floors left.

"Yes, that's what I thought too." Ashley agreed. "But sources confirmed that the lunch date wasn't a coincidence. Mr. Braxton turned down three offers before he demanded Mr.Wiseman introduce him to you."

The doors of the metal box finally opened, revealing the semi-empty parking garage. I dashed out of the elevator like it was on fire. "That's crazy. You don't believe that mess, do you?" I asked over my shoulder as I walked toward my car. After a few minutes of silence, I stopped and turned toward Ashley. She has a weird look on her face.

"Well...you two did return without Mr. Wiseman." She grimaced.

Frustrated, I blurted out, "Oh my God, Jeff had to handle some business. Nothing happened during our lunch date. I mean business lunch." I quickly corrected myself. "Nothing will happen between Mr. Braxton and me!"