Chapter 6-Avoid Samuel Braxton

Nisa's POV

Sam and Nisa: 25 years earlier.

"When I get older, Nee, I'm going to marry you!" Sam screamed from on top of the jungle gym. "We goin' live in a really, really, really big house with a hundred rooms so we can play hide and seek as long as we want!" he spreads his skinny arms out wide while his gapped-tooth smile spreads across his face.

Once again, Sam and I are the only kids left in after-school daycare. It's getting dark outside, so I know Mrs. Booker will call us inside soon. But I don't mind waiting. It means Sam and I can spend more time together. Regardless, this was the best week of my entire life! I finally made a friend here, and he's super cool.

I giggled at his over-the-top silliness. "I would like that." I smiled, starting to feel warmth around my face and neck from Sam's attention. I gently swayed, sitting in the swing seat near the jungle gym. A car drives by the playground. Thinking it's my dad, I get excited until I realize it's not because it completely passes the building down the road.

Mommy told me this morning my dad is supposed to pick me up today after school. He promised. I don't get to see my dad as much as I would like, so I am excited to spend time with him.

Mommy doesn't know, but I found out my dad was supposed to get me from school all week. Last night I heard my mom screaming at my dad on the phone. She said he was 'irresponsible.' I don't know what that means, but I agreed with my mommy when she said I loved my dad. Before she hung up, I heard her say that she was done if he didn't show up tomorrow. It sounded scary.

While eating breakfast, I heard my mommy talking to someone this morning. She said she would wait to give my dad his final chance. But they are to call her if my dad doesn't show up on time.

Here I am, waiting for my dad to pick me up while I hang out with my first friend.

"Heeellloooo Neeeee!" Sam interrupted my thoughts, joining me by the swing.

Usually, his mom picks him up before me, but lately, Sam said she's been taking naps all day. He asked his Nana, and she told him his mother was just feeling extra sad.

During class today, Sam decided to make his mom a card to feel better. I helped him glue the hearts on the inside for decoration. Everyone loves hearts, so I know his mommy will love it.

I ask, "You got that card I helped you with today?"

"Of course!" Sam chirped, whipping out the folded piece of paper from his pocket. "You helped me with this card, so I have to protect it!" he casually swung next to me, admiring our work with that gapped-tooth smile. "You promise to show me how you cut out the hearts on Monday, right?"

I giggled. "Of course" Sam joined me in my giggle-fest while carefully folding the card before putting it back in his pocket.

"Sam, Nisa? Your family is here. "Mrs. Booker announced from the door of the Afterschool center. We quickly dashed inside. I'm excited to see my dad finally. Sam gets to make his mother feel better with the card he made.

But then I see my mommy standing in the classroom with a sad face. "Popa?" Sam asked as he quickly followed me into the room. "Where's momma?" he continued. Popa looks sad too.

Popa quickly wipes around his eyes. "Grab your stuff, buddy. We need to talk in the car." Sam quickly goes to the cubby.

I walked straight to mommy because she already had my jacket and backpack in her hands. "Where's Dad?" I asked once I reached her. She passed me my coat, and I put it on.