Chapter 17-Never.

Sam's POV

"Good Mornin' and happy Friday, Mr. Braxton."

A sultry voice greets me as I walk into Wiseman Marketing. I glanced at the source. It was Mrs. Summers at HR. I nodded in acknowledgment, causing her to blush while smiling brightly at me. I can't help but notice the stain of red lipstick on her teeth. Grimacing, I sped up my walk toward my destination.

With a small box of glazed donuts tucked under my arm, I can't wait to give my sweetheart some sweets. She didn't reply to my text last night, but that doesn't stop me from our intimate morning meetings. I noticed Ashley at her usual post and greeted her accordingly. "Morning, Ashley! I picked up some donuts. Would you like one?"

Ashley looks at me puzzled before saying, "I'm sorry, Mr. Braxton. Nisa's husband called and said she would be out sick today. I sent out an email to all of her appointments today-"

"She called in sick?" I interrupted.

"Y-Yes, sir. W-well, more like her husband called her sick. I tried to get more information...to see if I could help, but Willy hung up the phone." Ashley said, getting frustrated.

I raised a curious brow.

Then Ashley's office phone rings. "E-excuse me, one-second sir, I need to grab this," she picked up the phone, greeting the caller, "Nisa George's Office-" her face morphed into a look of concern. "H-Hey Nisa, How are you feeling?"

"That's Nisa? Give me the phone." I demanded.

"Uh um-Mr. Braxton is here; he's demanding to speak with you," Ashley nervously whispered into the receiver.

"Give me the phone, Ashley," I repeated, growing impatient about snatching it from her.

"Y-Yes, your husband already called me this morning...yes from your phone...Yes, Mr. Braxton is still here glaring at me." Ashley continued whispering nervously, glancing up at me before quickly looking down. "L-Look, Nisa, I love you like an older sister, but I need this job...Mr. Braxton looks like he's about to hand me a pink slip" relief quickly washes over her face, and she nearly throws the receiver at me. "I need to run to the restroom," she announced before leaving me alone.

I wait until she's out of the office before I pick up the phone, "Nee, what happened? Are you okay?"

"H-Hi Sam. Did Ashley leave?" Nee's voice sounds raw on the other end of the phone.

"Yes, Nee, now answer my questions. Do I need to stop by?"

"I can't do this anymore, Sam," Nisa responded, her voice trembling.

"Nee, what the hell are you talking about? What's wrong?" cold dread filled my chest.

No. Don't do this to me, Nee!

Nisa sniffled into the receiver, adding, "It's over. This affair is over. Please don't reach out to me anymore."

The dread in my chest turns painful. My heart breaks in two." Nee, don't do this to me. Don't completely snatch yourself away from me. Don't do this to me again, baby. I can't...please tell me what's wrong!" I desperately pleaded, gripping the phone like it was my last lifeline.

She started to cry, and the sound alone caused my worries to worsen. Eventually, she whispers, "I'm sorry," and hangs up before I can say another word.

Sadness overtakes me, but I refuse to give up. I try to call the number back, but an automatic voice tells me the number I have reached is unavailable now.

I can't believe it.

Things between Nisa and I were going well. I've never been happier than I have these past couple of months.