Chapter Thirteen; I Did It For You, MayMay, For Us!

Maya's Pov.

Don't do things for others, do them for yourself because you are more important than anyone else.

Rocco has been acting weirdly for the past few months. He has always been talking to dad almost every time they see each other.

Yeah, I know I told him that we can not be together and I didn't want to pull him back from his life's ambitions and his dreams.

I watched as he walked into the class with his head down. I needed to talk to him.

As his best friend, I needed to know what was happening to him. I know that I might sound like a nagging friend but Rocco is very special to me no matter what anyone says.

I waited until it was lunchtime to catch up to him. I dragged him to the field.

Fortunately, no one was there.

"What?", he asked.

"I wanted to talk to you but every time I try and approach you. You ran. Are you hiding something? I know, I know. You have a girlfriend", I tell him hiding my pain behind my smile knowing that he and I can never be. "I am so happy for you, best friend. You deserve to be happy", I added smiling.

He looked at me with a confused look on his face.

"What? Do I have something on my face?", I asked him.

"You are insane", he murmured to himself.

"What?", I asked pretending not to hear him.

"How can I have a girlfriend when I am in love with you?", he bluntly asks me. "I love you, MayMay. Only you", he added putting his hands on both sides of my face.

"Rocco...."

"Yeah, I know. You and I aren't meant to be, right?", he asks removing his hands from my face.

I don't even know what to say to him after that. I just looked at him trying to control my emotions knowing very well that I can't do that, especially with him around.

"Don't be sad, MayMay. Everything will be okay," he tells me smiling.

"I am fine but I can't stop worrying about you, Roc. I know that it makes me feel selfish because all I want is to hang out with you but I get it when you don't want to...."

I explain to him only for him to laugh and shake his head.

Rocco's Pov.

Love can make you do many things

Love can make you do many things. Stupid things or even unbelievable things.

How do I even tell her what I am planning to do? When she thinks I am avoiding her while I was planning on doing something for the both of us.

I love her and I am willing to change who I am just to be with her for the rest of our lives.

I have even been talking to her father about it. He did it because of the peace that he saw his wife have when she had finished praying I want that peace and I also want her.

"I need to tell you something but promise me that you will listen and not interrupt me", I tell her taking a seat.

"Okay, if it's bad I won't hesitate to hurt you or even let my dad do that for me", she says grinning at me knowing that what she is saying is true.

I shook my head.

"I want to be a Muslim and I want to be with you for the rest of our lives. I know that it might be an impulsive decision but I have thought about it for a while now. I have been going to the Masjid for the time we haven't been hanging out. I am going to convert this coming Friday and I want you to be there for me", I explain to her not knowing that she didn't think it was a good idea.

"I have one question. Are you doing it for me or yourself?", she asks me.

"Does it matter?", I asked her.

"Yes, it does matter. It matters a lot more than you think. You convert for yourself, not for anyone else. Islam isn't about converting for someone you love. It's about converting yourself, to finding the peace that you are looking for. Don't do it for me, do it for yourself", She tells me. "Sometimes, we can't do things just because of someone we love to be with us. I do love you, Rocco but being a Muslim isn't something to do overnight. I will be by your side when you need me", she added smiling at me.

I knew that she was going to say this and I do understand her but what I want is to be with her because I can't do that even though I am an atheist.

"Thank you for that. I understand. But I have made up my mind to do that. I want to learn and try to understand Islam", I explain to her what I was planning and when I was going to do it.

"Okay, then. I wish you all the best in everything, Roc. You will always be my best friend no matter what", she says as the bell rings letting us know that it was time for our next class. "Come on we need to get to class", she added getting up from where we were sitting and started walking towards the class.

In the coming days, Maya and I did hang out but it wasn't something that we both wanted. I wanted to be a Muslim for her while she wants me to be a Muslim for myself.

MayMay is and will always important part of my life. I love her so much.

Many questions are rising in my head. What if what I am doing isn't right?

This is the right way for me.