38 - Maðurs

I had a hard time sleeping, even though Ari was safe now.

It was strange how I wouldn't stop smiling since I reached my destination – Dag had been right, this was where I belonged. But my mind was full of scenarios and thoughts on how to kill Bjarke. So as soon as the sun was about to rise, my feet landed on the floor and my naked skin was shivering from the cold. There was no use in laying there and stare at the ceiling. I could use that time for more important things.

The house was so different from the ones I used to live in. There were no windows and the only source of light came from the door or the fire that was placed in the middle of the round room. But there was a homey feeling to it, and the fresh forest air that surrounded the homestead added to it.

I put on a linen tunic that reached down to my knees and bent down to rekindle the fire. Then I poured a bowl of water into the kettle that hung above it to make some breakfast for my family who was still asleep where I had left them.

The whole pack was my family now, and they had greeted me with respect. Even though I knew that some of them were confused about my marriage to their Alpha, most of them already knew about my relationship with Freke and they somehow understood how everything had come to pass. Also, some of them had met me before in Skal, and that probably helped too.

The rumour about Bjarke spread quickly and Vidar had to calm them down, convincing them that he was not coming after me. But just in case he ordered more wolves to patrol the borders, but still, the thought bothered me as well. What if he had sent someone after me, following my tracks to get rid of me once and for all.

Suddenly my heart felt heavy again. I had put the entire pack in danger by coming here. But what else could I have done? Ari wouldn't have survived out there, and I needed my maðurs. I turned to smile at the boy who was sleeping heavily and well fed, all curled up in Freke's arms. The wolf had not left the boy's side since we arrived, claiming he needed healing. But I was sure they just wanted to be close to Ari because they'd missed him.

"I'm sorry if I put you all in danger by coming here," I whispered to the man who's blue eyes lingered on me as I moved through the kitchen. "What if he followed us?"

My anxiety seemed to irritate him. I could tell because he sighed deeply after he'd moved off the bed and walked towards me.

"Relax," Vidar whispered in my ear, and I leaned my head back against his bare shoulder as soon as he embraced me from behind. It was mere morning, two days after me and Ari had arrived at the settlement, and we had stayed inside the hut most of the time. Healing, resting and enjoying eachothers company.

"I'm trying," I mumbled, "but my heart is heavy and I feel so guilty for leaving them behind."

"I understand," the tall wolf said and kissed my temple, "but you made the right choice. He would have killed you and Ari to get rid of the competition."

"And to get rid of the truth," I said and looked over at Freke who was still sleeping heavily, "Bjarke made them think that Freke is the liar, that our maður cursed them and that you both were to blame for everything that happened."

"Of course he did. Humans fear the unknown. And even if the truth is right in front of them, they will cling to the things that are known to them. Bjarke grew up in that village, and we are not human, of course they'd choose him, even if he oozes with darkness," he said with words full of bitterness.

I turned to look into his beautiful blue eyes and combed my fingers through his long black hair, "I want to go see my father, and I want you both to go with me and be there when I explain it all to him." I paused and placed my hands on his naked hips, "We can't fight Bjarke alone, so I will ask father for warriors."

"Are you sure, my love, are you prepared for the consequences?"

"Yes, it's the only way," I swallowed hard and emptied my lungs. "I need to save Noora, and Dag and Ivar. They are good people and so are most of them."

"I know," Vidar mumbled low and pulled me closer, "and I know your father will stand on your side on this, he's a good man. But it's not a common fight. It needs to be planned and discussed, because Bjarke might have a handful of those crazed berserkers at his side."

I let my hands move up his muscular back, enjoying the feeling of them moving underneath his skin. "I will tell him the risks, but warriors are born to fight, and even if we die, it's worth it. Bjarke can't be left alive."

"Are you sure you're not Tyr the god of justice?" he teased, "you two seem very alike."

"I wish I was," I sniggered while moving my lips over his shoulder bone, "Then I would ask Thor to call down his thunder and remove Bjarke from this earth with one mighty blow."

"You can still ask him to do that, you know," Vidar said with a smile and began to kiss a line down my neck, "I am sure your gods must hate Bjarke's magic as much as you do."

"Probably," I said and peered mischievously at him before I decided to back him up against the wall, "we will make a sacrifice before the fight and gain their favour."

"And what will you do to gain mine?" he asked with a playful grin on his lips.

"Do you want me to tell you?" I asked and held his body pressed against the wall, knowing he could easily push me away, but he seemed to enjoy my confidence.

"No," he whispered against my lips, "I want you to show me."