31 - I feel his pain

"Vidar!" I yelled out as soon as I turned into my human form and ran naked across the small village square, ignoring the icy winds that hit my sensitive skin. "Vidar we need to talk!"

My maður instantly turned from the person he was conversing with and met me with long strides, "Freke what's going on?"

I could feel my eyes tear up as soon as his concerned orbs met mine, "Something's wrong with Tyr, I can sense it."

"How?"

"I feel his pain, and I," I hesitated and peered down on the amulett I carried. "I think my spirit travelled to him and healed him while I slept."

Vidar looked puzzled at me but seemed to accept what I had just told him, "I've only heard of similar things in the old tales."

"Tales of Odin?" I asked and bit my lower lip.

"No," he growled, "but I've heard that their allfather is a very powerful shapeshifter." He sighed, and led me inside our home to place a blanket around my cold body. "But that's not my point." He paused and studied me, "you are healthy again, your maður connection is strong, and I'm guessing the amulet intensifies that bond."

"He was on a boat and he was injured," I whispered.

"Why would he be on a boat? Why would he leave Skal now?" VIdar pondered. "Something must have happened for him to make that decision."

"I don't know," I sighed and felt despair hug my heart, "but something is not right."

My wise Alpha pulled me into his chest and hugged me tight. "Freke, you need to trust him. Tyr is strong and he's their jarl for a reason. Whatever happened, I'm sure he's in control."

"How can you say that when he's injured!"

"But you healed him?" It was more a statement than a question and it warmed me to know that he believed me. "Which means he should be better now."

I sighed and reached for my spare clothes that were folded in a wooden chest, "I got so anxious I forgot the herbs I gathered. I should go back."

"Let me come with you," Vidar said with a smile and offered me a hand, "We both could use a calming stroll in the forest."

I snickered to myself and punched his upper arm, "I knew it, you're worried too."

The taller wolf rolled his eyes at me but kept the smile on his lips, "Of course I'm worried, but I trust his hird would help him if he's not able to help himself."

I followed him through our front door and walked out into the strong midday sun. Even though our village lay hidden in the deep forest, we had cut enough trees for the sun to bless our fur with energy and shine.

"Alpha," a young wolf called out and ran towards us, "the poisonous toads have moved back into the pond again, I cant scare them away." he said with a pout on his lips.

"I'm sure your brothers can help you," Vidar said seriously, hiding a chuckle.

"Mother is treating their blisters already," the youngling mumbled low, looking quite embarrassed.

"What kind of blisters?" I asked curiously, "the water-filled kind?"

"Yes, Freke, they look terrible. Ther front paws and mouths are covered in them!"

I peered around and found exactly who I was searching for, "Arvid! The boy needs you, would you help him gather some poison for me?"

The red head turned to greet me and nodded shyly, "what kind of poison?"

"Toads," the young one answered as Arvid walked towards us.

"We need traps then, come on, let's make some," he said and dragged the pup with him.

I felt Vidar's eyes on me and I shrugged, "their venom might be useful."

"And you dislike killing things without a purpose," he added with a loving smile.

"The toads are innocent creatures."

"So they are," Vidar agreed as we continued our walk. We did not get far before a woman stopped us and had a chat with the Alpha about a noise she heard every night, and she was certain it was a mare. Sometimes she even felt it sitting on her stomach in her sleep.

I peered around and waited patiently as Vidar assured her that there were no evil night creatures in our village, we had enough protective runes to keep them out. As they kept talking my thoughts wandered to Tyr. Why would he travel by boat? Was Bjarke back? Were they fleeing from Skal, wounded after his attack?

"We should have stayed there," I whispered low and held my breath to stop myself from panicking. What if Bjarke attacked? They wouldn't stand a chance against him, not without Vidar.

Our Alpha excused us and pulled me towards the shielding forest, "Freke, what's going on?" he asked cautiously.

"What if Bjarke is back?" I whispered with empty eyes, what if Tyr is fleeing in a boat to get away from him!"

Vidar sighed deeply and placed both his hands on either side of my head, forcing me to look into his eyes. "There is no use making up scenarios like that in your head Freke, so please stop."

"But.." I pleaded but my words were lost by his lips that stopped me from speaking any more foolishness as he would have called it.

"My love," he said more gently after I had calmed down a little, "I will send another messenger if that'll make you feel better."

"What!?" I yelled so loud I scared a flock of tiny birds who started to stir in the trees, "the first messenger hasn't returned yet? Then he might not know the village is cursed!"

Vidar sighed deeply. "No, the messenger never returned."

"